Skip to main content

Making Us Feel Right at Home

It has been two weeks since we left Niger, but it sure seems like it's only been a few days.  On the other hand, it seems ages ago.  I think it's partly because it always seems like we have completely left one world for another.  It's hard to take in all that that switch involves.

Well, Pennsylvania wanted to make sure we felt right at home so that we could make an easier adjustment.  Late Thursday afternoon a massive thunderstorm rolled through.  We could barely see all the way across our yard because it was raining so hard.  We didn't notice that it was that windy but it did knock over our patio table and umbrella.  Then the lights flashed off, but came right back on.  A few minutes they went off again, but didn't come back on. 

A tree had broken and fallen on the power lines.  The power company was called right away.  We were assured they would come as soon as they could.  I should also mention that we are on a well, so when the power goes off, we don't have water, either.

Meanwhile, it was supper time, but we have an electric stove, so we couldn't cook on that.  It was just sprinkling a bit by then, so I fired up the grill and cooked brats and pierrogies.  Our grill also has one burner on it, so I cooked some carrots on that (I had some water in the fridge to use for boiling the carrots).  We ate in the semi darkness in side.


When we were done eating, we took a walk down the drive to see the fallen tree.  We called my sister for her birthday.  We talked to the neighbors.  We burnt some trash.  We waited some more for the power to come on.  By then it was around 8:30 and still no power, so we ran to the store and got some bottled water and a battery-powered lantern. 

Even though we went to bed stinky (John had been out running just before the storm), we slept ok because there was a nice breeze and, well, you know, we don't really call this weather hot.  The worst part was that we couldn't flush the toilet.  Ewww.  Oh, we also bought hand-sanitzer on our run to the store.

Well morning came and still no power.  Don, the manager here, brought us pond water with which to flush the toilet (whew!).  He also went around with a small generator and gave everybody's fridge about an hour on the generator.  Things stayed really cold and the freezer stuff didn't really thaw at all.

Finally, mid-afternoon, the power company came.  It was actually two trucks that came up from Harrisburg.  They said that there were so many trees down on lines in this area, that they had to come in as reinforcements.  So, all in all, we were about 20 hours without power or water.  Yep, we felt right at home!

You can read more about the storm here.
1 comment