Skip to main content

Since John Came Home

It's hard to believe that it's already been three weeks since John came back from his intensive study time in Oxford, England at the Oxford Centre for Mission Studies.  Doing a doctorate part-time (or full time!) is not for the faint of heart, I can tell you.  

So much has happened in the past three weeks since his return that it feels like longer than three weeks!  First, we had Pentecost Sunday....I don't have any pictures of that.

That week parts of town were without power for about four days straight.  It would come on for an hour or two, then go off again.  Families were sleeping at the school since they have a generator.  Thankfully and amazingly our neighborhood was good most of that time.  We were without electricity for a 10-hour stretch at one point and a couple of hours off here and there, but nothing like other parts of town.  Here I am cooking in the dying daylight....just before we turned on our camping lantern and lit the candles. 

May 29 we had a farewell for a missionary family that has been here for 16 years.  These goodbyes are tough when you've known somebody this long....they feel like family.  It was just at the end of the party and prayer time that we had for them that we got the news that an 11th grade student had just died (I wrote about that here).  So, it was a very sad end to a nice evening.

June 1st was the funeral of that student and we went to that.  We didn't know him personally, but wanted to be an encouragement to the Sahel Academy community and to his family.

June 4th was graduation.  

Out of 13 graduates, 10 nationalities were represented:  USA, Canada, Niger, Nigeria, Cameroun, Rwanda, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, and Australia.  If you are a believer who loves kids and who is willing to raise support, we are still looking for a 4th grade teacher and high school teachers for next year!  Teaching international and cross-cultural kids is a privilege, for sure.

We've had several dust storms.  Here is some of the dirt I swept up after one of the dust storms we didn't hear....and the windows were all wide open.  It's been hot and miserable, but God sends us some pretty flowers at this time of year to encourage us. These flowers are so tiny, but in abundance on this bush.  I have no idea what they are!

This past week and this coming week we are having a "staycation".  We've spent a lot of time at the pool, time reading, time on the internet, time playing games, time watching movies, and have been able to eat out quite a bit.  It's been pretty relaxing, but John has to keep doing a few hours a day on his studies.  I've also been working a few hours a day on a project for him, but I can do that and watch a movie at the same time. :)  

Unfortunately, the termites had a party at our house and ate a big section of ceiling and the rafters. (I can't believe I ate the whole thing!) So we've had the carpenter come and rip out that section of ceiling.  Then we called the bug man to come and spray.  Now the carpenter will need to come back to replace the ceiling.  We also need to have our house painted as hunks of paint and plaster are falling off the walls.  Thankfully, we've been able to move over to our neighbor's house as they've gone to the US for the summer.  They live on the same compound, so we can go back and forth for stuff.....still there's no place like home and we feel a bit disorganized and displaced from not being in our own place.

Last night we got to go to the dunes with good friends.  They'll be leaving in October and I really don't even want to think about that yet.  I'll be doing another blog related to the dunes soon, so I'm only putting up a few pictures.

So, that's some of how we've kept busy the past three weeks.
1 comment