Skip to main content

She's Here!

Tuesday night we left Niger on Turkish Air.  I slept (fitfully) pretty much from Niger to Burkina Faso where we let off passengers and picked up more to Turkey.  It was an overnight flight.  We had a few hours in Istanbul Airport, so I got a cup of tea and a croissant for breakfast.  
Our flight from Istanbul to Washington DC was ok, just very long.  I slept a bit and watched four movies.  

Daniel and Kelly met us at the airport and we had a good evening and next day with them.  Daniel stayed home from work and Kelly hadn't started her fall teaching schedule yet, so it was nice to just hang out with them all day.

 In the late afternoon we went to a park near Reagan Airport and watched the planes taking off.

Just as we arrived at the park, Suzanne called and said she thought she was in labor.  Then just a little later (around 5:30) she called again and said her water broke.  So we went home, ate supper, packed, and hit the road.  By then rush hour was over and we drove through the night to Ohio (about an 8 hour ride....shorter when there isn't traffic, like in the middle of the night).  Kelly did most of the driving.  She was amazing.

My sister was with Suzanne and Theo at the birthing center and she kept me posted with texts.  Here is a record of the texts.

9:20 p.m.  We just got to hospital.

9:49 p.m.  6 cm, 3 min apart, 60 to 90 sec long

9:57 p.m.  She is doing awesome.

10:16 p.m.  Getting her 1st round of antibiotic and then getting in tub.

10:53 p.m.  Suz and Theo are in tub and we're just giving them privacy and space unless they need us.

11:30 p.m.  He (Theo) is tremendous.  In transition and feeling a little pushy.

12:02 p.m.  They (midwife/nurse) are great here.  No directive pushing.  Just what they call laboring down, but everything kind of stopped so doing some change of position.

1:30 a.m.  Well you may be here as things have slowed down some.  Slow and steady.  I'd say a very normal labor so far.  She is so tired right now.

1:42 a.m.  She is here!!  Born on the bathroom floor!!  Beautifully pink!!!

2:35 a.m.  They haven't done any measurements.  Right now holding skin to skin and Suz getting some stitches.  They do family time before the other stuff.

2:50 a.m.  She tore.  They now think that natural tears heal better than episiotomy.  6 lbs 14 oz.

2:53 a.m.  Yes.  She looks great!  Nice and pink.  Where r u now?

If you want to know the full birth story and all the details, you can read them on Suz's blog at Tera Evelynne:  Her Birth.

We finally got there at about 3:30 a.m., so she was only two hours old when we first held her.  She is so beautiful and I think she looks a lot like her mom, but I can see her daddy in her, too.  These pictures were all taken at 3:30 - 4:00 a.m., so if we look a little exhausted, we were.

I'm delighted that her name is Tera Evelynne....Tera after the name of the town where Suz grew up and which Theo got to visit just before they were engaged.  My middle name is Evelyn and my grandmother's and great-grandmother's middle names as well.  Tera's middle name is spelled slightly differently as you can see.
1 comment