Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Weekend

We left Maryland Wednesday afternoon to head north to Connecticut.  We had to keep reminding ourselves that the destination was worth fighting the traffic of the DC area, Baltimore, and Harrisburg.  What should have been an eight hour trip took ten.  But we figured that was pretty good for the day before Thanksgiving.  There were times we were going five miles an hour, but we were never stuck for long periods of time.

The day of Thanksgiving there is always a big race in Manchester.  But you'll have to read John's blog that he'll be doing sometime this week to find out all about that.  I'll just say, I don't know how they keep from tripping over each other!

The best part of Thanksgiving was that Daniel's girlfriend, Kelly got to come and Suzanne's boyfriend, Theo, also came.  We enjoyed spending time with them and getting to know them better, but, in all likelihood this was the last Thanksgiving we'll spend with them for quite awhile.  As you can guess, it was a bitter-sweet day.  I try to enjoy the day and not think into the future.  It was so cold the morning of the race that the two boys wore Grandma's hats.  I told them if they wore them with confidence everybody would just think it was their personal style.  I think they look great, don't you (and the girls, too, of course!)?  While we were in Connecticut we bought ourselves a new house.  Ha!  Ha!  Don't we wish?!

Of course, the best part of Thanksgiving Day was spending it with extended family at John's brother's house.  There were 26 people and 16 pies.  That's more than half a pie per person!  Personally, I sampled the chocolate, the pecan, the pumpkin, and the blueberry (not all in one day, though).  Here's Daniel and his cousin..."One for me, one for you..."  And, oh, the food!  Everything was delicious, but my favorite was a Peurto Rican style roast pork.  Wow.  It was superb.
On Friday and Saturday we just hung out, played games, went to the mall, did some work/studying, and went back to John's brother's house to help eat the leftovers.  While there we helped them decorate their Christmas tree.

The trip home only took us 8 hours and 30 minutes of that was crawling through a construction zone in Scranton.  Now Suzanne will be home in less than three weeks and Daniel in two.  I'm already looking forward to Christmas!
1 comment