Skip to main content

A Yard Sale, A Power Surge, and a Good-bye

Last Saturday the junior class at Sahel Academy sponsored a huge yard sale. The class rented the tables and sold breakfast. Everybody who bought a table sold their junk. It was perfect for us because we had to get the stuff out of the container it was stored in because somebody who is going on home assignment needed to use it.. We rented six tables, had large pieces of furniture to sell that wouldn't fit in our house, and had 3 bookshelves full of books to sell. Thankfully we sold ALL of the furniture and most of the "junk"....well, treasures to other people. We sold a lot of the books, but unfortunately there are still a lot of them left. It was an exhausting day, moving all the stuff from the container to the sale, standing on our feet for hours, warding off over-zealous buyers, trying to drink enough in the heat to stay hydrated, etc. but we had a real sense of relief to be more or less finally done with the whole moving process!

When we got home from the sale we found that the power was off. This is a regular occurrence so we didn't think anything about it. It was so hot in the house that I decided to take my food outside to eat. At that point I realized the neighbor's outside light was on. We realized then that something had caused the breaker to trip. But it wasn't until Sunday night that we realized that our computer wasn't getting any power to it, even though it was plugged into a working outlet. We didn't know what had caused the power cord to stop working, but we found out when I went to work on Monday. There are had been an enormous power surge and it had completely fried our server. It took our computer tech all day to make it functional again. Then we found out that our neighbor and another missionary family in the neighborhood also lost their laptop power cords at the same time. Hard telling what all got fried in the neighborhood that day! There is no chance of getting any damages paid by the electric company.

Please pray for my friend and missionary colleague, Nancy. About two weeks ago she noticed a swelling on her neck. It appears to be a mass on her thyroid and she needs to go home for further medical tests. God has really worked for her family during this traumatic time. They live 1000 miles east of here, but "just happened" to be in Niamey for a few weeks. The insurance company usually doesn't agree to pay for trips beyond France or England, but they paid for her and her husband's trip all the way to the US, so they only had to pay for their two sons. They were able to get flights within 24 hours and already have a doctor's appointment for Friday. This is a very scary time for them as there is a possibility of cancer, so please pray for them. I know you don't know them and I don't want to put their last names on the internet, but please use what I've told you to bring them before God's throne.

I like to put photos on my blog, but I don't have any this time!!
1 comment