Friday, July 07, 2017

Why We Don't Take Your Prayers for Granted

As missionaries, we realize the importance of surrounding ourselves and our work with people who will pray regularly for us.  I think we must be unaware of how often God answers prayer.  But sometimes it's really obvious!

Last week we went up to the village where we used to live to visit our friends there.  On the way home, I was driving.  I had a thought, which I am positive God put into my mind, that if you ever have a tire blow out, don't stomp on the brakes.  Maybe it was something my dad once told me when he was teaching me to drive....I'm at least sure he told me to not over-react in situations where you could lose control of the car.  Anyway, I believe that God brought this to mind.

Not 20 minutes later, there was a horrific BOOM!!!! and pieces of things were banging up against the car and went flying by.  I said something like, "The car is falling apart" and John replied, "You've had a blow-out."  Thankfully I knew not to slam on the brakes.  It seemed like forever, though, before the car finally stopped.




Thankfully it stopped in a place with a wide shoulder so we could get mostly off the road (in some places there isn't much of a shoulder).  Also, there were no people walking along the road.  And we had a young man with us in the car who could help change the tire.  And we are thankful that our spare was good.




When we got out, a bit shakily, mind you, we saw that the tire had completely blown and then shredded.  Nothing was left attached to the rim.  The plastic cover of the wheel well, the mud flap, and the side turn signal had all been ripped off.    It took a lot of effort to get the rim off as it had somehow tightened the lugs as well.


 





While John and our friend changed the tire, I walked back along the road and picked up the plastic pieces.  I left the chunks of tire beside the road.

 

We always pray before starting a trip.  It's not a magic charm or a way of controlling God for the outcome.  But that prayer before starting a trip does show our humbleness and reliance on God, it makes us aware that our lives are in His hands, and when we are saved from disaster, we know right away who to thank.






 


 

So, thank you, Father, for keeping us safe.  Thank you to all of you who pray for us!


No comments: