Skip to main content

Making Us Feel Right at Home

It has been two weeks since we left Niger, but it sure seems like it's only been a few days.  On the other hand, it seems ages ago.  I think it's partly because it always seems like we have completely left one world for another.  It's hard to take in all that that switch involves.

Well, Pennsylvania wanted to make sure we felt right at home so that we could make an easier adjustment.  Late Thursday afternoon a massive thunderstorm rolled through.  We could barely see all the way across our yard because it was raining so hard.  We didn't notice that it was that windy but it did knock over our patio table and umbrella.  Then the lights flashed off, but came right back on.  A few minutes they went off again, but didn't come back on. 

A tree had broken and fallen on the power lines.  The power company was called right away.  We were assured they would come as soon as they could.  I should also mention that we are on a well, so when the power goes off, we don't have water, either.

Meanwhile, it was supper time, but we have an electric stove, so we couldn't cook on that.  It was just sprinkling a bit by then, so I fired up the grill and cooked brats and pierrogies.  Our grill also has one burner on it, so I cooked some carrots on that (I had some water in the fridge to use for boiling the carrots).  We ate in the semi darkness in side.


When we were done eating, we took a walk down the drive to see the fallen tree.  We called my sister for her birthday.  We talked to the neighbors.  We burnt some trash.  We waited some more for the power to come on.  By then it was around 8:30 and still no power, so we ran to the store and got some bottled water and a battery-powered lantern. 

Even though we went to bed stinky (John had been out running just before the storm), we slept ok because there was a nice breeze and, well, you know, we don't really call this weather hot.  The worst part was that we couldn't flush the toilet.  Ewww.  Oh, we also bought hand-sanitzer on our run to the store.

Well morning came and still no power.  Don, the manager here, brought us pond water with which to flush the toilet (whew!).  He also went around with a small generator and gave everybody's fridge about an hour on the generator.  Things stayed really cold and the freezer stuff didn't really thaw at all.

Finally, mid-afternoon, the power company came.  It was actually two trucks that came up from Harrisburg.  They said that there were so many trees down on lines in this area, that they had to come in as reinforcements.  So, all in all, we were about 20 hours without power or water.  Yep, we felt right at home!

You can read more about the storm here.


Beth said…
We lost power yesterday after a thunderstorm too. It was definitely not out for 20 hours. But it was entertaining to me when about three hours in to the outage the neighbor from across the street came over to chat and expressed concern about his food going bad in his refrigerator. "I think it will be okay!" I said. It was also amazing how it brought everyone in the neighbourhood out of their houses to stand around and talk to each other. Glad your power is back!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  

I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Graduation Season

It's the season for graduations!  Yesterday I attended two graduations.  Thankfully one was in the morning and one was in the evening.  There were differences and similarities.  

The morning graduation was at the flight controller and meteorologist training school.  Six of the graduates attended our Bible study regularly and a seventh came occasionally.  We grew to dearly love this group.  

The evening ceremony was at our MK school and all of the graduates this year were missionary kids and one pastor's kids; the majority of the missionary kids were from our mission.  So I've known most of these kids since they were little. 

The similarities were:
1.  Both groups were fairly small (30 for the flight controller school and 13 for our mission school).  Both groups were very close to each other; at the flight controller school they have all classes together and live in dorms together for 14 months with only a few days off and no real vacations; at the mission school the kids have …

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  

February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.

In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…