Skip to main content

Our Easter Celebration

When you think about it, Easter should be the most important celebration on the Christian calendar.  We remember Jesus' death and resurrection.  And it was both of those events that changed everything.  Unfortunately, for most of us, Easter is less of a celebration than Christmas, which is also important, of course.  Because if Jesus hadn't come to earth, he couldn't have died and rose again, either!

Every now and then I get nostalgic.  My Great Aunt Jeanette, who was one of my favorite people to ever live, loved holidays and always made them special.  In 2006 we were with her at her house for Easter.  By then she was about 89 years old, but she made sure we all dyed eggs together.  We also made a cake together for Easter dinner.  Her brother, my Great Uncle Carl, was visiting her from California.  The two of them really knew how to have fun.  I am so glad we spent Easter with them that year as it was the last time I ever saw either of them.







This picture is pretty typical of our years up in the village.  We'd have church on mats under the trees.  Afterwards the men would sit around and play cards or listen to music or sleep and the women would cook a big dinner.  Those are good memories, too, though sometimes those days were VERY hot (it's usually well over 100 degrees during the Easter season!) and so those days were exhausting.



Any way, on to this year's Easter, which will probably also be a year I'll never forget, though for entirely different reasons.  The Saturday before Easter, April 8, we went to an all-church concert at the biggest gathering place in Niger.  I took my camera, pulled it out to take pictures, and discovered that the battery was dead.  So I had to take photos with my cell phone, so they're not the greatest quality.

They had groups from different churches singing in different languages using traditional and modern instruments and styles.  There was a Zarma women's choir and they sang two songs two different ladies in the group had written.  That was really exciting for us as there has been a dearth of original songs in this language!  A lot of women in the audience got up and danced when they sang.  

The favorite group was definitely the Fulani.  They did a Wodaabe (a specific group of Fulani) style song.  The audience loved it! 



One group sang with a sort of desert blues style.  Others did more western-style singing.  All of them were enjoyed by the audience.  The cool thing about the concert was that all churches were invited.  The hall seats 1500 and it seemed that most of the seats were taken.

The Easter weekend started with Good Friday.  John found out Thursday night that he was to preach Friday night.  He managed to pull together a good message on Jesus' last words on the cross, with a special focus on "It is finished".  The French says it so much better than the English:  "Tout est accompli", which means "Everything is accomplished."  Everything that Jesus came to do was done.  Everything that we need for salvation and for living a holy life was done.  The final sacrifice was made.  There is nothing more to do but believe. 

The Saturday before Easter was crazy busy.  We went to our friend's son's wedding.  Some other friends went with us.  Our friend, "Moses", found us ladies a nice place to sit and food was brought to us.  It was pretty yummy, even if we did make a mess as only white people eating without spoons can do. Believe me, there is an art to eating with your hands and I don't have it!

 

Here is a picture of John with "Moses" and his family.  He has four wives and a bunch of kids.  In this picture are his wives, his mom, and just a few of his kids. I love how Nigeriens are so hospitable; wherever we go, we are treated like royalty, as are all the other guests.  The bridegroom, his son, had been in a bad motorcycle accident in January.  He had internal injuries and had to have surgery.  Thankfully he lived.

 

When we got home from that, John had his moolo lesson and I went grocery shopping.  After a quick lunch, John went to the doctoral defense of his friend, Nephtali.  He has been studying medicine with a specialty in ophthalmology.  After being grilled by the "jury", he was given "highest honors with congratulations by the jury".  Apparently when they say that, it's a pretty big deal and not something everybody gets, even if they pass.

That day was a big baking day for me.  I often spend much of Saturday trying to do cooking prep for the rest of the week, but that day I had an extra lot I was trying to do.  You know what they say about, if you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, get out?

 

Yeah, if I did that we'd never eat.  Yep, it was 95 degrees in there.



I put soup in the crock pot and then made corn bread to go with it.  I made two cakes for meetings coming up at the office this week, cookies for John, and hot cross buns for Easter breakfast. 

 

After eating our supper of soup (why soup when it's 95 in the kitchen?!) and corn bread, we went to a reception for Nephtali.  He is very musical so he and his friends did some singing, there was food, and, of course, speeches.  His mom, dad, siblings, and other relatives were able to come from Benin for the celebration.  John had met his mom and dad (pictured here talking to John) when he traveled to Benin with Nephtali.





Nephtali was singing and his mom danced up to the front and hugged him then she and I presume an aunt danced.  It was a very special and joyous occasion, but we did leave early because we were so tired.  We sure are going to miss this young man!  I know he will go far with God.



Easter morning we got up bright and early, ate our hot cross buns, and got to church in time for the 6:30 sunrise service.  





Immediately following the sunrise service, there was a baptism and two of the young people who attend our Bible study were baptized!  It was really a privilege to see them taking this step of obedience.







After the baptism, there was a breakfast.  Aren't they beautiful?  The joy of the resurrection is on their faces!



The breakfast was followed by a three-hour church service.  Our church has been through some hard times recently and as a result we "fasted" from having a lot of extra music.  We have had only the piano since December and no choir.  It was fitting that all the instruments were back and the choir sang to celebrate the most joyous day of the year!  The Sunday School children also did a presentation.  Amazing Grace was sung in English, French, and Hausa.  We had a message, the presentation of those who had been baptized, and communion. 





It was a full morning.  And did I mention that it's hot?  LOL.  We went home and had dinner and took long naps that afternoon!

What did you do for Easter?  I hope it was as memorable as ours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …