Sunday, April 02, 2017

March Book List

Well, y'all, this is going to be a very short blog!  I finished only one book during the month of March.  I also read most of a very long book, but that will be in the April list.

So my one and only book was called The Case for the Psalms:  Why They Are Essential written by N.T. Wright.  



N.T. Wright is passionate about using the Psalms in both private and corporate worship. His passion is contagious and I was reminded how seldom I am in the Psalms and was challenged again to be reading the Psalms each day; five Psalms a day.  On the day that you come to Psalm 119, just read that Psalm.





He shows how the Psalms relate to time, space, and matter: Time because they invoke the past and anticipate the future, Space because heaven and earth meet in the temple, and matter because God delights in all he has made.

I had a hard time staying engaged while reading, but that has more to do with my state of exhaustion than N. T. Wright's writing style, I'm sure. My favorite chapter was the last in which he relates real-life incidents from his life and how a particular Psalm spoke to him in a meaningful way during those times.





As a result of reading this book, I am researching sung recordings of the Psalms to listen to.  Is anybody familiar with the Psalms Project?  That looks interesting to me.  A google search for "psalms in song" or something to that effect, also revealed a Psalm Project Africa.  This is an Ugandan group setting the Psalms to music and they all have an African flavor.  How cool is that?  Is anybody else familiar with either of these?  I was just thinking how neat it would be to fill your home with Scriptures set to music on a daily basis.  Kids would learn not only about God, but they would be memorizing the very Word of God as they listen.  I will definitely be downloading all of these CDs when I return to the land of good internet!  I would also like to look for oral readings of the Psalms.  Any suggestions for other music compilations of the Psalms or of oral readings?

1 comment:

Beth said...

Shane & Shane have a couple of albums based on the Psalms. I have the latest one and have enjoyed it.