Sunday, March 26, 2017

Fixing Our Focus, Part II

In the first of this series, I talked about how the photographer can focus on something in the foreground and leave what is in the distance of the picture blurry.  In my Christian life, I need to focus on what God has given me to do now.  I need to live in the present, not in the past or the future.  I have spent too much time either regretting the past or wishing I could return to it.  I have also spent too much time thinking about the future and wishing I was there.... only three months until we get to make the trip across the Big Pond and see our kids and grandbabies and our parents and other family.  Oh yes, I spend too much time there in the past or in the future and not enough being present.

But there is a sense where I do need to look at the future.  A photographer can focus on something in the distance, leaving the foreground blurry. 


 Paul also told us to do this in Hebrews 12: 1-3 (read the entire chapter for some great encouragement!).  He says (God's Word Translation):  

Since we are surrounded by so many examples [of faith], we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially sin that distracts us. We must run the race that lies ahead of us and never give up. 2We must focus on Jesus, the source and goal of our faith. He saw the joy ahead of him, so he endured death on the cross and ignored the disgrace it brought him. Then he received the highest position in heaven, the one next to the throne of God.
3Think about Jesus, who endured opposition from sinners, so that you don't become tired and give up.

I am to fix my eyes on Jesus and keep the end goal always before me.  The present is sometimes difficult, very messy, and seems pointless to me.  I look around the world and find plenty to worry about.   But if I keep my eyes on the distance, on Jesus and the goal, I will be motivated to keep going.  Iwon’t be distracted, but I’ll keep running, keeping in my lane, until I finish well.  He is standing at the end with his arms outstretched, waiting for me, exhausted and worn out, to fall into them at the end of the race.


As believers, we live in a very real sense of right now / not yet. My life, your life now is so difficult in many ways.  But there is also the knowledge that it is going to get better.  We are going to be with Jesus.  There will be a new heaven and a new earth.  We long for what is yet to come, but we long with a hope that is sure.  This keeps us motivated and pressing on to that goal.


Fix your focus on Jesus!

No comments: