Skip to main content

New Adventures in Travel

Usually when we travel we have the sorts of adventures that you'd really rather not have ... like sitting IN the airplane first at the gate and then on the runway for SIX hours and the flight itself was seven hours, so 13 hours in one plane (I know, I know, my Aussie friends do that all the time).  Or having your luggage not show up and when it does the camera that you had bought for your daughter's birthday had been stolen out of it.  

But this time we had two kind of fun things happen that we'd never had before.

When we fly out of JFK in New York, our final stop is usually Connecticut.  From Hartford we can catch "the Connecticut limo" service.  

We always joke because it's never been a limo.  Once it was a small bus and the other times it was a van.  So when we were standing outside the station in Hartford, there was a limo parked down the line-up.  I jokingly said to John, "Look!  There's our limo!"  and he said, "Yeah, right."  Neither of us in a million years really thought it was there for us.  After a few minutes the driver got up and came up to us and asked if we were going to JFK.  Sure enough, the limo was for us!  There was only one other passenger, so it felt like our own private limo.  It was pretty fun, but I think if you packed an entire party of over five people in there it would feel pretty crowded.  This picture of John is blurry, but it's my proof that we did ride in a limo. 


That was a first for both of us.

The other new adventure for us was flying in an Airbus-380.  That's the huge double-decker airplane produced by Airbus.  We were in Row 47 which was almost the back of the plane (I think there were 52 or 53 rows).  There were three seats - aisle- four seats - aisle - three seats.  We have no idea what the upstairs looked like!  There were also first class seats down stairs, but I think most first class and business class were upstairs. 

In New York, waiting to board

This was the quietest plane we've ever been on.  The engine noise was greatly reduced compared to other planes and it seemed like even the noise other passengers made was less (maybe partly because they didn't need to talk so loud to be heard!).  The ride was incredibly smooth.  We did feel the turbulence, I think because we were in the back, but we were basically unaware when the plane even started to move down the runway.  The landing wasn't the smoothest, though! There was a video camera mounted on the tail of the plane and you could watch the take-off and landing on the screen which was pretty cool.  As we were landing we could see on the screen that he was banking the plane, but you couldn't even feel that.  Our seats were right in the middle of the middle section which I didn't like ... but I don't like that on any flight.  My favorite is to have a window. And we were thankful for what we got because at first it looked like we wouldn't even be able to sit together.

After landing in Paris.  We took off in the dark and landed just at dawn.

And that is the end of our vacation.  I will probably do a little resume of the month of November, but tomorrow it's back to work.  We'll be struggling with jet lag this week, so please pray for us to get back in the schedule quickly!  

Somebody was happy to have us home. 


Deb said…
What a blessing to ride in a limo...finally.
I love the blessings amongst the down things
God is good, all the time.
ChauffeurTravel said…
I read you information I like it but we are offering and provide Connecticut Limo you can enjoy your rides if you want you can visit this website Connecticut Limo on your choices limo thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  

I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Graduation Season

It's the season for graduations!  Yesterday I attended two graduations.  Thankfully one was in the morning and one was in the evening.  There were differences and similarities.  

The morning graduation was at the flight controller and meteorologist training school.  Six of the graduates attended our Bible study regularly and a seventh came occasionally.  We grew to dearly love this group.  

The evening ceremony was at our MK school and all of the graduates this year were missionary kids and one pastor's kids; the majority of the missionary kids were from our mission.  So I've known most of these kids since they were little. 

The similarities were:
1.  Both groups were fairly small (30 for the flight controller school and 13 for our mission school).  Both groups were very close to each other; at the flight controller school they have all classes together and live in dorms together for 14 months with only a few days off and no real vacations; at the mission school the kids have …

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  

February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.

In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…