Skip to main content

Grandbaby Quilt #2

My mom made a quilt for me when I headed off to college.  It was so warm and heavy and I had it on my bed my college years.  I still keep it in storage and every time we are home in the winter I pull it out.  I don't know if she made one for my brother and sister or not, but I do know she made one for each of her grandchildren.

So, I decided to carry on the tradition.  I made one for Tera which Suzanne uses as the backdrop for Tera's monthly photos.  I wanted to make one for Hezekiah, but I sure had some challenges with it!  I bought the cloth before I knew what gender he would be and lucked out on that as I had gone with blue (aqua) as I knew that would match the nursery.  



looked up some quilt patterns on Pinterest and other places on the internet and narrowed it down to two I liked.  

My sewing machine wasn't working right, so I decided I would cut the pieces ahead of time and then sew them at Suzanne's house.  



But of course I procrastinated and the week before leaving Niger I was still trying to figure out what size to cut the quilt blocks.  I had a pattern, but no directions to be found anywhere on the internet!  I told John I couldn't figure it out, so he said to give him some time to think about it.  He was doing dishes and figured out an algebraic formula in his head while he was working.  Within 10 minutes we had it all figured out.  




I got the pieces all cut out ahead of time and sewed them at Suzanne's house in the afternoons when Tera was napping. 

 

But I got to the last piece and realized I hadn't cut enough pieces!  So I sent a message to my neighbor, Beka.  She went in our house and found the cloth and sent it with somebody who was traveling to the USA and who mailed it to me here.  I got it just in time to finish it.



I googled "baby quilt sizes" for both Tera's and Kiah's quilts and look at the different sizes of the two quilts.  I hope Tera doesn't grow up thinking I love Kiah more because until I laid the two quilts on the floor, I thought they were the same!





I had some issues with the sewing machine and don't know enough to have been able to figure it out, so don't look too closely at the sewing!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…