Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Salmon, Sweet Potatoes, and Asparagus (Post for Oct 18)

As you may or may not have noticed, I haven't been keeping up as well on the blog as I'd like.  That's because:  1.) We left Niger on Friday night, Oct. 14 and arrived in the USA on Saturday afternoon, Oct. 15 AND 2.) Sometime while we were on our flight from Niger to Paris, our grandson, Hezekiah James Hines entered the world!  Between Friday night and Monday afternoon we were in three different countries and in four different states in the USA.  We are now in OH enjoying time with Suzanne and Theo, Tera and Kiah.  Daniel will come down this evening and Kelly will come for the weekend.

Last night I cooked supper.  Suzanne thought of the idea and I made it happen.  As usual, it was fairly simple, but wow, was it delicious.  The three parts of the meal were salmon, sweet potatoes, and asparagus, none of which we can get in Niger.  Well, we can get a variety of sweet potatoes, but they are usually white.



I cut the sweet potatoes in strips and then put them in a bowl in which I had mixed oil and seasonings.  I used garlic powder, salt, paprika, and cumin.  Some red pepper is good, too, but I think I am the only spice lover, so I skipped the pepper.  I then baked the sweet potatoes in the oven for a good 45 minutes.  

For the salmon, I mixed 2 cloves garlic, chopped, 6 T olive oil (I used half butter), 1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper (I think I forgot the pepper now that I think about it), 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, 1 Tablespoon parsley, and 1 teaspoon dill.  The recipe said to marinate the salmon, but we were out of time, so I just dipped the salmon in the oil mixture, then wrapped each piece in foil.  We baked that in the oven for about 30 minutes.  To tell if fish is done, pull away a piece with a fork.  If it is flaky, it's done.

And I steamed frozen asparagus.



Best of all, I had the cutest helper ever.  She put the sweet potatoes in the bowl and helped stir them and she sat the table.  



This meal is really nutritious.  It's one that I've cooked often on the grill, but doing it in the oven works well, too.

No comments: