Skip to main content

3. Meat and Potato Pie -- #Write31Days

Tonight for supper I made meat and potato pie.  This one does take some time, so you probably don't want to make it if you are looking for something really fast.  On the other hand, it's not difficult to make, either.

The first thing you need to do since it's, you know, a pie, is make a pie crust (or buy one if you live in a place where such things are available in stores).  I know, I know, whoever said "easy as pie" needs to have their head examined.  But making a good pie crust is something you CAN do!  My go-to recipe is my Great-Uncle Clyde's recipe.  Uncle Clyde was a bachelor and a good cook who knew how to make excellent pies.  I made the one-crust recipe.  For a two-crust pie, just double it.

In a bowl, mix:
1 cup flour
a pinch of salt

Then add:
1/3 cup shortening
Ummm, ok, first problem, there's no shortening here.  So, it's possible to use margarine or oil or even butter.  But the problem is, those three options don't have the same consistency of shortening.  So, for example, today I used oil.  I just put in a little at a time and mixed it with my pastry blender until it is a crumbly consistency.  It probably used about half of the 1/3 cup of oil.  It should look something like this.



Then stir in:
1/3 cup cold water.  Again, stir in a little at a time.  You want just enough for the dough to form a ball.

Do NOT handle pie dough too much.  Just roll it into a ball and roll it out flat.  You do not need to knead it.  Too much handling makes it tough, not flaky.  Sprinkle flour on your rolling surface (I just use the counter top) and roll the dough as thin as you can.  Transfer it to the pie pan, trip off the edges, and press down the rim.  If it falls apart when you move it from the counter to the pan, it doesn't matter.  Just press the pieces together again.  Also, my crust didn't completely reach the edge in all places.  It doesn't matter!  We're making this for supper, not for being judged at the county fair!



And here's the meat pie recipe:
1 lb beef, cut in bite size pieces

Mix:
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
dash ginger powder
dash allspice powder

Put the flour mixture in a plastic bag, add the meat, and shake it up to coat it.
Then brown the meat in a skillet with some oil.  Add sliced onions. (I used one small onion.)  After the meat has browned and the onion is soft, add 2 potatoes cut in bite-size pieces and chopped carrots. Don't bother peeling the potatoes, because ain't nobody got time for that.  Add 1 cup water and sprinkle into the mixture any flour you have left over from coating the meat.



Turn the heat down low, cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes, but stir it often.  Next, add the meat sauce mixture to the pie crust and bake it in the oven for about 15 minutes.  I didn't want too much crust, so I just used a bottom crust, but you can add a top crust if you want.

Also, my meat was a somewhat cheaper cut, I suppose like stew meat.  So I cut it up in small pieces and then marinated it in the fridge for a few hours. 

 
don't have a recipe for my marinade, but I whisked an egg, added a bit of oil, some balsamic vinegar (wine would be good), a little water, and seasonings.  It made the meat nice and tender.

John also had a zucchini muffin that I'd made on Saturday.  I had some grated zucchini left from something else, so I threw it into a buttermilk muffin recipe (because I had yogurt that was going sour, so I used that as buttermilk).  I added some chopped nuts, some cinnamon, and craisins to the recipe.

It was delicious!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …