Skip to main content

Trip to England, Part IV in Which I Get Special Treatment at the Museum

On the day that we had breakfast with Brian and Lura, I mentioned that since it was a rainy day I'd go to the Ashmolean Museum and look around there until it was time to meet John for lunch.  It's a nice museum and is free and I figured it would be a good day to spend a rainy morning even though I'd been there before.

Lura said she'd heard that there was a Lilias Trotter display at the museum.  Lilias Trotter was born in 1853 into a wealthy family.  She had a natural gift for art and took some lessons under John Ruskin who assured her she could be a great artist.  However, she felt the call of God on her life and became a missionary to Algeria.  When I got to the museum, rather than spend all my time wandering around looking for the display, I inquired at the help desk.  "No," they told me, "there is no such display here.  But let me look it up just to make sure."  The Help Lady's research showed that there were, indeed, some of Lilias Trotter's paintings in the archives room in a sketch book that had belonged to John Ruskin and would I like to see them.  Sure!  So she called the archives and then took me down stairs.  I had to lock all of my belongings in a locker and then go and wash my hands.  Then she took me into a room where the sketch books had been laid out on felt and let me have a look.  She also asked would I like to see a facsimile of one of Lilias Trotter's journals.  It was so cool to be allowed a peek into her private life.  She wrote about the work in Algeria, the joys and the frustrations:  about new believers who were keeping the fast, others who could not take the pressure from families and had gone back to their religion.  Her journals were art journals before art journaling was in.  On most pages there was a water color painting about one of the people in her stories or of a room or a building.  They were really beautiful.  Her writing was really hard to read so I didn't read it all, but her mission work sounds so similar to what we have done here.

Since I could not take any personal belongings into the room,  I don't have any pictures, but here is one I got off the internet.



I also just want to say how impressed I was with the way the Help Lady and the Archives Lady went out of their way to show me something I showed an interest in.  

If you'd like to find out more about Lilias Trotter, this seems to be a good website:  ililiastrotter.wordpress.com .  There is also a documentary about Miss Trotter that I'd like to see that's called Many Beautiful Things.

I did still have time to look at some of the other sections of the museum.  This was the Dutch Masters room.  If you're ever in Oxford and if you like art museums, make sure you visit the Ashmolean!

Comments

podso said…
We showed the film at a Valentine dinner at our church. It's available on Amazon now. You'd enjoy it. Our book club is reading her biography this summer. So cool that they took you down into the archives room! A memorable experience for you!
Titus2Mum said…
Loved reading this post Nancy. Lilias Trotter is one of 'our' favourite missionaries. We did a 'read out loud' of her story when we studied her at school (home school). So loved your little post on her - and that you saw actual sketch books of her work (we also studies her paintings).

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …