Monday, June 06, 2016

Trip to England, Part I

Every year John has to go to Oxford for a six-week study period on site at the Oxford Centre for Mission Studies (OCMS) where he's getting his doctorate.  For the past three years John has gone and I've stayed here.  It's a long six weeks when you're apart, especially when it's a hot and miserable time of year here.  So this year we decided I'd come for the last two and a half weeks of his time there.

My flight out of Niamey to Turkey left at around 2 a.m., so I took some Benadryl so I could sleep.  I was lucky that there weren't many passengers on the flight and I had a row of three seats all to myself.  I got to lie down and actually got some sleep.  On the flight from Turkey, there was a man next to me in our section of two seats.  He was a pretty big guy, so when he saw there were empty seats, he moved so he could have more room.  So I got two seats to myself on that flight.  I slept some and watched a movie:  The Choice.  I can't really remember it, but it seems like it was ok, but kind of ho-hum.

It was a beautiful day in England when I landed and though much cooler than Niger I didn't really need a sweater.  I found the coach to Oxford, bought a ticket, and was soon on my way.  I didn't have any way to let John know I had arrived, but he eventually showed up and found me at the bus station.  Our host came and drove us home.  Their house is in walking distance, but it's a bit far with a big suitcase in tow.

John had bought me a city bus pass, so the next day I ventured out on my own on the bus.  I already knew my way around Oxford a bit from previous visits there, so I just walked around until time to meet John and we came home together.  It's amazing to think that some of these colleges were established in the late 1200's and that there are buildings still in use from the 1200's and 1300's.  And we Americans think anything built in the 1800's is old!









My birthday had taken place when I was in Niger, so that evening John took me out to a fabulous Thai restaurant in a village near Headington where we were staying.  This was the best restaurant or pub food we had while we were in England!  The food was perfect, the atmosphere was peaceful, and the setting was picturesque.


 



On my second day, I went in to OCMS with John as he was leading chapel. 

 I then rode the bus back into the center of town and bought an umbrella since it was raining.

 

I did some more wandering around and then walked back to OCMS for lunch. 

 

After lunch, I got the bus back to the center of town, wandered around a bit, then went back to where we were staying. 

 



Unfortunately I hadn't gotten the house key from John and nobody was home.....so I walked the half mile back to the bus station and rode the bus into the downtown area of Headington, the town where we were staying, to buy some things at the grocery store.  Unfortunately after that I walked the wrong way to get the bus and had to walk about half a mile back when I discovered the bus I wanted didn't stop at that stop.  Then back to our bus stop, half a mile back to the house.  By then my feet were painfully sore and soaking wet.   I was so thankful for the meal our hostess served that night and especially for the hot cup of tea!

Stay tuned for Part II!

No comments: