Skip to main content

You Know It's Hot Season When....

You know it's hot season when...

1. Every day for three months the high temperature is between 100 and 112. People will often say it's hotter than that, but their thermometer is in the sun or on a wall that holds heat.  But ... that's 110 IN THE SHADE ... so if you're spending time in the sun, it really is hotter than that!  To make matters worse, the low temperature is around 90, so you never do cool off.  (This is an interesting website and quite accurate.  I clicked on several that were so inaccurate!  Also, for daily Niamey weather, this is a good place to check temps.)

Taken in the village where we used to live, a few years back

2. The number one greeting is, "How's the heat?" or "How's the sun?"  Everybody is hot and everybody commiserates together.

3.  You have power cuts lasting from a few minutes to 13 hours, almost every day.  And when it's 95 in your house and the power cuts off and you no longer have a fan to move the air, life gets miserable fast.  (Thankfully our office building has a generator or we'd have gotten nothing done the past two weeks!)

4.  When the power cuts off, you hear the sound of generators roaring to life in the neighborhood around you.  And you pull out your hand-held or battery-run fan and wonder if you should get a generator.  (Thankfully we haven't really needed one yet, but our little O2 Cool fans have been great.)

5.  Two minutes after getting out of the shower you are as sweaty as when you got in the shower.

6.  And speaking of the shower, the water is not cool AT ALL!

7.  Everything you touch feels hot.

8.  You have very little energy and you need to allow yourself to do less.

9.  You invent excuses to drive to places where you would normally just walk.  And then you drive slowly to enjoy the air conditioning blowing on your face.

10.  The swimming pool is your favorite place to be. And it feels like a bathtub.  Oh, and don't try walking around on the pavement in your bare feet!



11.  Your office air conditioner is set on 79 degrees and everybody coming in remarks on how cool it is.  Anything less than that, though, would be too big of a shock to your body coming in from outdoors!


12.  Going to church requires bringing along a hand-held fan, a bottle of ice-cold water, and a handkerchief to wipe your fevered brow.



13.  You are extremely thankful for air conditioning in the bedroom that allows you to get a good night's sleep!  And you try not to mention it too often because a lot of your friends aren't so fortunate and you know they aren't sleeping well.

14. You are constantly amazed that there are trees and flowers that produce fruit or bloom at this time of year.  (And it's a bummer that I don't like mangoes because 'tis the season!)



15.  You think of every excuse possible to not have to cook.  Using the oven is definitely out.  A mango smoothie would be good ... oh yeah, I don't like mangoes!

Comments

Lori Kingston said…
I grew up in Brazil, as a missionary kid, and I can identify with pretty much everything you posted, including not liking mangoes. Except we didn't have air conditioners in the house or the school -- the only place that had them was the bank downtown, and that was like walking into a refrigerator!
shary said…
I left Mali in 60 and I don't remember ever having air conditioning in Mali. We didn't have electric so no fans. My mom did hang a wet blanket in front of the double screen doors and it felt good because there was always a little wind.
Anonymous said…
When we first got to Niamey it was in November and I think you were having an unusually warm Cool season. I would mention how hot it was and everyone would say "Just wait until hot season". I was a little concern how hot hot was going to feel, and would I be able to live though it. One of the old timers said "You will know when the tomato cans explode and all of your candles melt over". One day in May I was cooking in the kitchen and sweating like crazy, I opened up a can and tomato blasted out of it. Out of curiosity I walked into the living room to look at the candles and sure enough they were all limped over. I thought this is it! It is hot season and I am surviving! Every night we would sprinkle the sheets before getting into bed and It would feel cool for a little bit. Nothing like hot season in North West Africa. Thanks for they memories. The one thing I did look forward to were the mangoes.
Lee loves Jesus said…
If only the people in the US only knew how good they got it.
Lee loves Jesus said…
God bless your work Hannatu
Lee loves Jesus said…
God bless your work Hannatu
Lee loves Jesus said…
If only the people in the US only knew how good they got it.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…