Skip to main content

God's Hand of Protection

I can imagine that each day there are ways that God protects us and cares for us that happen in unseen realms and of which we aren't really aware.  But every now and then, in the midst of the routine of our daily lives, we become very aware of His hand of protection and His care for us.  But first, let me tell you about our routine week (if there's any such thing as "routine"!).

This week was much like any other.  Perhaps a little busier in that I had three long meetings to attend, which is more than normal.  Our administrative team, which includes both John and me, always meets on Monday, so that was a routine meeting.  On Tuesday all of the Directorate Team, which includes John and me, met together to review our security/contingency plans.  This was a routine review, keeping in mind that it's best to "be prepared for the worst and hope for the best".  

Then on Wednesday, I met with some other ladies on a committee starting to look at some stuff regarding the school's re-accreditation process.  If you've ever been involved in a school accreditation process, you'll know that I'm not exaggerating when I say it's a lot of work.  We had so many papers, documents, files on the computer, and ideas in our heads that it all became very confusing sometimes.  We worked from 8 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. with only short breaks, so we were exhausted at the end of the day....speaking for myself any way.



In spite of the extra meetings, I managed to keep up on my emails.  I'm so thankful that I now have Crystal who handles everything to do with short-termers or the week may have been overwhelming to me as we also had two brand new arrivals as well as two long-term returnees this week.

Saturday afternoon there was a wedding we attended.  This was quite a to-do as, between the bride and groom's families, five churches (four denominations) were involved as well as the groom's co-workers from a Christian organization.  We knew that seating would be at a premium, so we showed up on time....which turned out to be early!  The bride and groom were fashionably late. 

Our choir got new outfits for the occasion.  



There were three women's groups and the youth choir from the groom's church that also sang.  The moderateur (what is that in English?!) told the groups that had special numbers, "One song each and I mean one song only."  But it seemed like some just combined their songs without a breath so it sounded like one song. But I could be wrong! :)



The best man came in with the groom. The groom is on the right in the photo. 



Then the wedding party came in and the guys stood on one side of the aisle and the girls on the other.  Each of the guys then presented the girls with a white rose (silk....no real roses like that here!).  






Then came in more bridesmaids dressed in white with blue hats. 



Behind them were the flower girls.  I think they were throwing confetti everywhere. Then the bride with her "adopted" father.  



And behind her were more bridesmaids in cream colored dresses.  As the bride was coming down the aisle they were spraying perfume and throwing confetti and some kind of cottony stuff.  In this picture you can see everybody ducking their heads to get away from it.



There was a message and then the exchanging of the vows.  I didn't take any pictures as I was not in a good position to do so.  As an aside, I just want to say that the three men across the aisle in the hats were quite entertaining. 



The bride and groom signed the marriage license, a Bible was presented to the bride and groom, there was more singing and then the wedding was over. It lasted 3.5 hours, if you start counting when the wedding was supposed to have started.  That's how long we were in the church, anyway.

Oh, I should tell you that before the bride and groom did their vows, the two representatives of the family are asked to stand up.  The pastor asks if the groom's family paid the full dowry and then the bride's family is asked if they received the full dowry.  The two who stand up are usually uncles, not direct parents.  (Only here, they are considered parents.....culture can be confusing, eh?)  

They had the reception outside.  



Nobody much paid attention to cutting the cake (which was beautifully made by one of our missionary colleagues and her cake-decorating team) or what was happening at the main table.  I guess we were too thirsty and hungry while we waited for our food and drink to come.  It was worth waiting for, anyway.  The bridesmaids and groomsmen served.  Can you see the two girls in white serving food in the picture below?



Today we drove north to visit a church.  



They did a lot in Songhai with both music and translating the message.  We had a good visit there.  The usher (probably also a deacon) brought us each a bottle of water and then later a box of juice.  We had brought water along, but it was nice to be able to save that for the trip home.

That was really thoughtful of him as the church was pretty warm as the sun beat down (it was 104 degrees today).  They had an extra section to the service with an offering and testimonies to thank God for the way He blessed in 2015, so the service was pretty long, but we enjoyed it.



We drove around town to have a look around because I hadn't been there since 1990!  Of course, I couldn't really remember what it looked like then, but it was interesting to see the town.  As we were driving out of town, our tire started making a funny noise.  We were sure it was flat, so we pulled down onto a dirt road running beside the paved road.  We couldn't see anything and the tire was definitely not flat.  I told John to go as fast as he could on that dirt road and to drive past me and I'd see if I could hear or see anything.  He did and I couldn't, so we got back on the paved road.  As soon as he started getting back up to speed, we heard it again.  So we were trying to figure out what it could be when a gendarme came up next to us on a motorcycle and signaled us to pull over.  He said something was definitely wrong with the tire.  So he and John started to change it, only he wouldn't let John do any of the work.  Then a second gendarme with a young lady came up on a motorcycle (I found out talking to her that she is also a gendarme, but was off duty so not in uniform).  The two guys changed the tire....in the blazing hot sun.  Remember, it was 104 in the shade.  When they pulled the tire off we discovered that the edge of the tire that was on the inside where we couldn't see was all shredded.  If we had kept going on that it would doubtless have blown, which could have resulted in big trouble for us!





Do you see what I mean about how sometimes God's hand of protection and care is so obvious?  He allowed a piece of the tire to come loose enough to flap around to make noise on the pavement to alert us to a problem.  He made sure we were still in town, not out in the middle of nowhere.  He protected us from allowing it to happen before we got on the open road going 100 km/hour.  AND just because He cares, He sent two gendarmes to change the tire for us.  When we offered them $1.00 each to go buy a cold Coke, they all refused.  And so we end a busy, but pretty routine week, thanking God for His protection and care and glad that we live in Niger where people, even of a religion not the same as ours, are so quick to offer help.  

Comments

Beth said…
Wow, Nancy! Praising God with your for his protection on the road! That tire did not look good!
mackyton said…
Thanks for sharing these beautiful photographs. I am also getting married and looking for some options of romantic wedding venues and planning to visit some local venues next week. Hopefully will be able to find one in our range.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…