Saturday, February 20, 2016

Favorite Verses

Today I'm linking up with Suzanne at The Glorious Mundane for Outside the Frame.  This week's link-up is your favorite Bible verse.  Why don't you tell us about your favorite verse, too?  Unfortunately her link doesn't seem to be working, but you can go to The Glorious Mundane facebook page to link up.

I have so many, it's hard to know where to begin, so I'll tell you about the verse at the top of my blog.  One of my favorite chapters in the Bible is Psalm 16.  I feel like it talks about life, present, past, and future.  

The first four verses talk about the present where David asks God to keep him safe and to protect him from his enemies: "Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge".  There is so much in this world that can make us afraid, but God will keep me safe.

Verses 5 and 6 talk about my past.  "LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.  The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance."  No, my life hasn't always been easy and parts of it certainly haven't been pleasant to go through.  But when I look back over my life so far, I would sum it up in one word:  blessed.

Rexford and Wanda Hall .... my paternal grandparents on their wedding day
I've been blessed to have had grandparents and parents and parents-in-law that were godly and who modeled character qualities that I can imitate. 
Harold and Ada Gay....my maternal grandparents on their wedding day.

Don and Betty Hall ... my parents on their wedding day

Bob and Jean DeValve ... my husband's parents on their wedding day
I know not everybody has had the good fortune to grow up with godly parents and grandparents, but can I encourage you to make the choice to be the first generation of a line of godly people?  It doesn't mean your children or grandchildren will be perfect or walk in the ways of God, but it does mean you give them the chance to know what it means to have character traits that please God.  But I digress!

I've been blessed to have a good and godly man for a husband.  I've also been blessed with the children that God has given to us.  And the grandchild (and some day more, I'm sure!) He's given us.  I've been blessed that through the hard times and the bad times, God has been there.  I've been blessed with excellent health.  I've been blessed with enough (not great wealth, but enough).

And then verses 7-11 talk about the future with phrases like  I will not be shaken, my body will rest secure, you will not abandon me to the grave.

And then the verse you see at the top of my blog which is my life verse:  "You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."  Again, the past -- you have shown me the path to follow; the present -- you fill me with joy when I'm in your presence; and the future -- I will enjoy eternal pleasures at your right hand.

1 comment:

Living on Less Money Blog said...

Psalm 16 is one of my favorite verses, too. Elisabeth Elliot loved this Psalm, also! Do you think the word 'portion' refers to God or present circumstances?