Skip to main content

Humble, Uncomplaining Servants

Last weekend we took a trip out to a village far off the beaten track to visit some missionaries whom we'll call Josiah and Elizabeth (not their real names).  John is the Regional Director for missionaries involved in evangelism and discipleship in this area and Josiah and Elizabeth are under his care, so we wanted to visit them where they live and work.  Not only that, we've known each other ever since we started our missionary careers in the early '80's.  Our Deputy International Director was visiting, so it was our privilege to have him go along with us. 


We traveled on the paved road for a couple of hours and then headed off onto a dirt road that led through several villages until we came to the up-and-coming village where they live. 

 

Their village has electricity several hours a day and is in a valley that allows a gardening industry to flourish.  In spite of it's out-of-the-way location, merchants come from all over to buy produce there to sell in other markets.  Surprisingly to us, since we had very few fruits and villages in the village where we lived for 16 years, they don't lack for many fruits and vegetables.

Josiah and Elizabeth live in a typical "apartment" complex.  By that, I mean that there are four or five connected houses on their compound.  Each one has a privacy wall around it, but neighbors are very close indeed.  Elizabeth's kitchen sink, stove, and fridge are on the terrace which is kind of also an outside living room.  Off the terrace is a bathroom with a shower and toilet.  Inside the house is a room that runs the length of the house and which is their living room and dining room.  Behind that are two bedrooms.  They got a nice cross-breeze, but have no glass on their windows so there is no way to keep out the ever-present dust.



We had a late lunch with them and then had a walking tour of their village. 



 

We were able to see the land that they've been able to purchase for a pastor's house, and as God works and blesses, a church, and possibly a school.



You'll notice that my pictures from the first day have a beautiful blue sky and from the second day the sky has no color.  During the night a strong wind blew and by morning heavy harmattan had descended (and is still with us a week later!).  By the way, harmattan is the dust that blows down from the Sahara Desert and hangs in the air like a thick fog.

The next day we had a service in Josiah and Elizabeth's home.  A student from the secondary school, presumably the only Christian in the school, came to worship with us.  After a shared meal we headed out to visit three of the evangelists in the area. 

 

Each evangelist had his own story and we wished we had a longer time to get to know them better.  They speak a different vernacular language than we do, so we were relying on Josiah to translate for us.



The first evangelist is young and he and his wife have one child.  He shared with us how when he first came the people in the village were unkind and kept their distance from him, but now that they are seeing he is an honorable man of integrity, they are beginning to trust him.



We headed on through the bush to another village.  



The evangelist there has a small church.

  

He and his wife have 10 children and, like the others, rely on his own farm to provide food for his family since the salary he receives is not enough to provide for his family.  He was telling us that the town where he grew up is known as a Christian village.  It is said that that town no longer hears the call to prayer.  When we were there, his children were busy washing their clothes in preparation for school the next day.


As we approached the third village, Josiah led us through the back streets of a village, up one narrow lane and down another.






The third evangelist has several men who were already Christians when he came to the village, but he has had a hard time winning their trust.  He has a thriving literacy ministry with over 20 children coming to learn to read and write.  They range in age from 6 to 20.  





He told how last year during the meningitis epidemic, over 20 children in his village died.  They received a vaccine, but it was not for the strain of meningitis that was going around so it did no good in protecting the children.

In the village where we used to live, the kids were quick to gather around.  Here they kept their distance more than I'm used to, and I had to work hard to finally make a little friend!



Josiah and Elizabeth visit these evangelists regularly.  They feel that their work is best done in equipping these men.  Josiah also travels to a Bible school about an hour a way every week to teach there.  

As we headed back to the capital city, our Deputy International Director asked us what touched us most about the weekend.  We both mentioned the enormous needs and how we could use so many more missionaries in the area to share the good news with those who are living and dying without ever having heard of Jesus.  Then he shared that for him it is the way that Josiah and Elizabeth serve so faithfully without complaint.  The entire weekend we were there, we didn't hear one word of complaint....not about where or how they live, not about the frustrations in the culture, not about the administration, not about how isolated they are.  The closest they came to complaining was to state their frustration with their internet situation.  And even then they said that there is nothing they can do about it, so they don't stress about it.

He's so right!  I think the two things that characterizes Josiah and Elizabeth is that they are humble and uncomplaining.  They know what God has called them to do and they just do it.  They don't expect anybody to make life better or easier for them.  They don't spend a lot of time traveling to the capital city for a break (which would not be wrong to do!), they just do their job.  They are an amazing couple who don't look for any praise or glory.  They are people we tend to take for granted because they stay out of the limelight.

I'd like to take both what impacted John and me and our Deputy International Director and say that we need more humble, uncomplaining servants to reach those who are living and dying without knowing Jesus.  We don't need heroes or amazing people.  We just need people who know what God has called them to do and who do it.

Comments

Jeff Garrett said…
hi,
I was a summer missionary in Niger back in 1996. I was sent as part of the BSU (now BCM...Baptist Campus Ministries) through the state of Georgia. I was supposed to be there the entire summer but ended up getting deathly sick. I obtained amoeba/parasite/bacteria and the french doctor in Niamey gave me stuff for it but it combatted with the Mefloquin (anti malaria) and caused my liver to slow down (from what I remember the doc telling me at least). I stayed that part of the summer with missionaries and remember being in so much pain I was curled up in a fetal position. I probably lost about 25 lbs in those few weeks (which i was already skinny). I was emergency flown home....and now I'm perfectly fine.
But....I still think about Niger...still think about the missionaries...still think about how Muslim that country is and probably always will be.
There were a few churches that were planted there by the Baptist missionaries and I wonder if they're still up and running. I think the missionaries that were there are either retired, in another country, or are back in the US.
There was a lot of hatred between Muslims and Christians back then and can only imagine that has been multiplied now.
I'd love to hear what you guys are doing there and would love to connect with missionaries there to see what they have going on.
While I was there I went to villages like Ouallum, Kwara Taji, Mali Hausa,...and others I can't remember. Zarma was the language we encountered most. I still have a Zarma Bible the missionaries gave me.
Just wanted to say hi...would love to keep in touch with them..
Jeff

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…