Skip to main content

What Would You Do When Persecuted or Misunderstood?

January 16 and 17 are dates that no Christian in Niger will ever forget.  When the question is asked, "What were you doing on January 16 or on January 17?"  each of us will have a memory permanently etched into our minds.  

On January 16 churches, parsonages, and Christian-owned businesses in towns in the eastern part of Niger were burned.  The next day, the 17th, the same thing happened in Niamey.




In the United States, at this point, it is probably beyond our imaginations to think of this happening.  And yet, laws are being created the keeping of which may bring cause you to compromise your Christian convictions.  Perhaps you, my readers, already face mocking or disdain when you share your beliefs in the workplace or with extended family.


Honestly, according to the Bible, persecution or at the very least being misunderstood, is something that happens to believers.  That doesn't mean we need to go around making ourselves obnoxious in the name of the Gospel, but the truth is, not everybody understands what having a relationship with Jesus is all about and that that relationship affects how we think, act, and relate to the world around us.  And what is not understood is mocked and may even result in persecution.  


So, when persecution or misunderstanding happens, what are our reactions?  Fear is a very real reaction and I think on January 16 and 17, most of us experienced a very real sense of fear.  Betrayal?  People you thought you knew and trusted seem to not be who you thought they were.  Revenge?  I think deep in our human hearts we have a very real sense of fairness which can come out as believing that what you did to me, I'll do back to you.  Demanding my rights?  I think this is another gut reaction that comes automatically.  There is freedom of religion, so you all should treat me nicely because it's my right.


I recently read this, about the story in Acts 4, in a great little book called I Believe in the Holy Spirit by Canon Michael Green:  "Peter and John have been released from prison, after being grilled by the Sanhedrin, and told not to say any more about the resurrection of Jesus.  They returned to the Christian fellowship, and their immediate action was significantly different from what would happen in most Christian circles today.  We might organise a petition for civil liberties, or approach our Member of Parliament, or at least appoint a committee to look into the matter of these unwarranted threats by officialdom.  They did nothing of the kind.  They gave themselves to prayer.  This seems to have been a mixture of liturgical and free prayer.  The prayer as recorded is dependent to a very large extent on Psalm 2, and to it they appended their brief request.  But they did not prescribe to the Almighty what he should do.  They did not ask for protection.  They spread the matter before the Lord and asked him to 'behold' it.  They claimed his sovereignty over every threat of man.  And they asked for boldness in proclaiming the gospel of Jesus.  'And when they had prayed, the place was shaken in which they were gathered, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God with confident assurance' (Acts 4:31).  Such was the reality of the Spirit's presence in their worship."




Wow!  They gave themselves to prayer.  And in their prayer they didn't even tell God what they thought He should do.  They simply quoted Scripture, claimed God's sovereignty over every threat of man, and asked for boldness to continue proclaiming the Gospel.


I'm so thankful that the churches here in Niger have claimed God's sovereignty over every threat of man and have continued in boldness to proclaim the Gospel and to rebuild.  They could have responded by going out and doing in kind to the houses of worship of the majority religion, but they allowed God to let them respond in a peaceful way.   


I'm equally thankful for each person who prayerfully gave to the persecution fund to help the churches rebuild.  Next week we will be helping a local church do some clean up and repair work.  Yes, this experience has been more difficult than anything the church in Niger has had to face, but by responding biblically, they are rebuilding and continuing to reach out to those around them.


And can I encourage you that if you personally face mocking and misunderstanding, let your first reaction be to give yourself to prayer, to claim God's sovereignty, and to ask for boldness to continue to proclaim the Gospel.


Even when our hardship is not caused by others around us but we are struggling to make sense of the crazy events in our life, I think this is a good formula to follow:  give ourselves to prayer, especially those based on Scripture, claim God's sovereignty, and ask Him to continue to make us bold. 










Comments

Georgene G. said…
Times 'have' changed in America. We are no longer a Christian nation. I pray often that God will have mercy on our nation.
Thank you so, so much for this post, and your encouragement in prayer.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …