Skip to main content

Eating the Frog, Mentoring Like Jesus, and Being a Servant

I love reading, but I must confess that my favorite genre is fiction.  Reading is what I do in my spare time, so I enjoy a well-written story that takes me to another place.  But I also discipline myself to read non-fiction.  Biographies and auto-biographies are my favorite because they read like novels.  I also read quite a few books to do with the Bible or Christian living.  And I try to read several books a year for professional development.  These are three professional development books I've read recently.

Perhaps my favorite of the three is called Eat That Frog!  21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time.  The author is Brian Tracy who is a motivational speaker and writer.  Pretty much the summary of the book is if you do these 21 things you will be successful.  Hmmmm, well, he's never lived where the unexpected and uncontrollable is part of every day, I guess.  Never-the-less, he does offer some great tips and I found some of them helpful.  I was also glad to see that some of what he suggests are things I already do.  



Mr. Tracy says that "Mark Twain once said that if the first thing you do each morning is to eat a live frog, you can go through the day with the satisfaction of knowing that that is probably the worst  thing that is going to happen to you all day long."  The premise is simple:  Make a list of your tasks for the day.  Which is the hardest and the most important?  Do it first.  If you have to eat two frogs, eat the ugliest one first.

Some of the other things he recommends doing are think on paper, plan every day in advance, tag your to-do list to indicate what is most important in descending order to least important and delegate what you can.  He also talks quite a bit about the 80/20 rule.... 20% of your tasks will account for 80% of the value of what you do.  So, if you have 10 tasks to do in a day and each of them takes the same amount of time to do, choose the one or two (the 20%) that have the greatest value to accomplish what you are trying to do (the 80%).

The second book I read was Mentor Like Jesus by Regi Campbell.  Mr.
Campbell's main premise is to spend more time with fewer people and to really make a difference in their lives.  He found he was meeting with 10-20 men regularly, but only for 30 minutes at a time and wasn't really making a big difference in their lives.  So he started mentoring groups in which he meets monthly for several hours a month for a year with a group of about eight guys.  His program is well-known and popular, so he spends time praying that God will send him the right men.  Then the men have to fill out an application form and from that he chooses the guys who will be in the group.  They have to sign a contract that they will come to every single meeting.  He feels that the advantage to a group is that as they discuss things they are all learning from each other.  It isn't just him telling what he knows, but them all sharing what they've learned in similar experiences.  They also really keep each other accountable.  And this is how Jesus mentored....he poured his life into 12 very specific people.  The men also need to commit to mentoring so that what they have gained from the group is passed on to others.

And the third book is called The Servant:  A Simple Story about the True Essence of Leadership by James Hunter.  Instead of just writing a how-to book on leadership, Mr. Hunter writes a story in which a struggling leader goes on a
leadership retreat.  The book recounts the discussions that the group had.  Mr. Hunter did talk a lot about how leadership involves being a servant and showing love. I have a hard time writing a review for this book because we read it together in our Admin meetings, but there were so many interruptions with people going on vacation and so on, that I had a hard time getting the flow of the book. I don't think it had anything to do with the book itself.   I feel like there were a lot of helpful things in the book, but as I said, I just am having a hard time pulling it together.

Comments

It looks like you have read some wonderful books. I like the reminders in the first book and I really appreciate the premise in the second book. Thank you for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …