Skip to main content

A Trip to Kenya

If I've been a bit silent on my blog, it's because I've been incredibly busy.  I attended a conference in Kenya, but the week before leaving was crazy with trying to get ready and tying up a lot of loose ends here.

I left for Kenya on Saturday, October 10.  We kept checking FlightAware for my flight and it wasn't showing at all.  We'd heard from other friends who had recently traveled Ethiopian Airways about flights leaving earlier or later than expected.  Later didn't bother me, but I sure didn't want to miss a flight that was leaving earlier than expected!  When I got to the airport, I told John not to leave until I texted him that I'd gotten checked in.  When I got to the check-in desk another passenger was yelling about canceling his flight, so I still wasn't 100% sure that the flight was going to work out.  But it turns out everything was on time and the flight itself went well. 

Taking off from Niamey
 Except when the bathroom door in the plane wouldn't open and I was stuck in the bathroom.  My seatmate heard me trying to open the door, but I didn't know that, so I rang the bell for the flight attendant.  They both came and got the door open for me.  Good thing I didn't have to spend the rest of the flight in the bathroom!

I had a lay-over in the airport in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia.  It's much improved since the last time I was there two years ago.  I ate two granola bars for supper while waiting in the airport.  There was some food on the flight fromn Addis to Nairobi, but, you know, it was airline food.....just kind of bleh!   I landed there about 10:30 p.m. and it was around 12:30 a.m. when I finally got to my guest house.


My room was small, but nice and clean and I had a private bathroom. 

 
I opened the window to let in the cool air, but it may have been a mistake as I heard another person arriving, somebody else leaving, and then a group of SIM people heading out for a safari at 6 a.m.  It was definitely not a good night's sleep, but the breakfast was great.

Later in the morning I went to see the Karen Blixen house. 

 
In case you don't remember, she wrote Out of Africa and a movie starring Meryl Streep and Robert Redford was also made by the same title (but with plenty of liberties from the book!).  This was the extent of my sight-seeing in Kenya.  

Later that day we were taken to the Lukenya Getaway, a retreat center on the outskirts of Nairobi.  It's actually a little lower in elevation than Nairobi, so not quite as cool.  But the nights were definitely cool and I wore a sweater in the evenings and early mornings.  It was a relief after the high humidity and heat we've been having here.

We were in meetings all day long for six days and it was a pretty exhausting pace.  



We talked a lot about new things that are happening in the world of SIM...mostly things that have to do with how we make our needs for personnel, projects, and prayer known.  The conference was for mobilisers and communications personnel.  I'm not technically either, but I do a lot of communicating with mobilisers, so that's how I ended up attending.  Our field Communications Coordinator also attended.  Sadly we never got a picture together even though we shared a room!  We did have a free afternoon, but I ended up having two meetings that afternoon, so didn't get to go on any of the outings that were offered.

The facility was really nice.  Our room was spacious with an extra seating area in it and a private bathroom.  



Every day the room was cleaned, including making the beds, tying up our mosquito nets, and opening the curtains and closing the windows.  Late in the afternoon they would come back in, close the curtains, turn down the beds, and put the nets down.  There are no screens on the windows in Kenya and there were definitely mosquitoes, so it was nice to have the nets.  Our first night we didn't and both Beki and I just about went crazy with the buzzing in our ears.



The food was also amazing.  There was so much to choose from and I especially enjoyed the nice variety of fresh fruits and vegetables.  We are at the time of year here where there isn't much variety in fresh stuff, so having good fruit and veggies was a plus for me.  



The retreat center was right next to a game reserve.  Some people managed to get themselves up early enough to go out in the morning to walk or run and they saw wild animals.  I, ahem, never got up that early.  But there were deer-like-creatures and monkeys on the compound that we would see from time to time.



There was also a nice pool at the center, but I never went in....partly I didn't have time, but it was much colder water than I'm used to!



Kenya is a truly beautiful country.  I think some of the things I noticed that impressed me was the obvious Christian influence in the country, the cleanliness of things (the vehicles I rode in while old and well-used were spotless), and the friendliness and openness of the Kenyan people.  My only regret is that I didn't get to see more of the country, of the "real" Kenya.  



Meanwhile, "back on the farm", John and Crystal ran the Newcomers' Retreat for 18 new-ish arrivals.  From what I hear, they did a great job!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…