Skip to main content

Reading Biographies

I do a lot of reading and I make sure I read some non-fiction, you know, to expand my mind.  But my favorite genres are novels and biographies/auto-biographies.  Biographical literature is almost as good as novels are.  Sometimes the stories are almost unbelievable and it's always inspiring to see what people overcome.  Christian biographies are especially good as they often show what can be done with a life completely obedient to Christ.  Many of the biographies I read are just about ordinary people who haven't done anything spectacular....at least not according to them.


One of the auto-biographies I read recently was called The Strength to Stand; My Cancer, My Blessing by David Adams.  David was just an ordinary guy working at a restaurant when he started having migraines that would last for days and that would end up making him pass out and he would have tingling down one side of his body.  He was diagnosed with brain cancer.  This is a simple story in a sense....he's just an ordinary guy and he didn't do anything spectacular....other than go through treatments for cancer, which is pretty rough.  He shares openly about how his family had problems relating with each other and how God used his cancer to bring some healing to the family.  Mostly he just shares honestly about his struggles and how God used him to bless so many hospital staff he met along the way.

The second auto-biography I read was Just One SIM-Air Story by Rich Schaffer.  When I was a kid in Nigeria we flew to and from boarding school on SIMAIR, so this book was very nostalgic for me.  Rich does a great job of describing the Nigerian landscape, the storms, some of the challenges of flying during the Biafran War, and his thoughts of life in Niger where he sometimes flew.  Anybody who had ever been in Nigeria and flew SIMAIR would probably enjoy this book.  The problem with it (and with many self-published books) is that it could have used more editing.  Parts of it are really long and maybe interesting to pilots, but a bit technical for the rest of us.  

The third book, which I'm currently reading, is probably not classified as a biography.  It is Ben Carson's book entitled America the Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made this Nation Great.  The parts of the book that I enjoy the most are the parts where Dr. Carson tells about his life.  He grew up in poverty in Detroit.  His dad had left when he was about five and his mom worked two to three jobs at a time to care for him and his brother.  They often only saw her on weekends.  By 5th grade he was failing school, was classified as the class dummy, and was well on his way to being a failure. As he began failing in school, his self-esteem plummeted, too. His mother was terrified that he and his brother would be stuck in poverty for the rest of their lives.    She prayed for wisdom and came up with the idea of turning off the television and making the boys read two books from the public library every week.  They then had to write book reports.  She had a third grade education and could barely read herself, but the boys didn't know that.

Dr. Carson says, "...in the beginning I sure hated reading those books.  After a while, however, I actually began to look forward to them, because they afforded me a fantastic escape from our everyday poverty and sense of hopelessness.  There in the city, books about nature captivated me.  First I read Chip, The Dam Builder, then other animal stories over the years up to Jack London's Call of the Wild as my reading ability increased.  I began to imagine myself as a great explorer or scientist or doctor.  I learned things no one else around me knew.  Every single day my knowledge of our world expanded, which excited me to no end.  And since I was constantly reading, I became a much better speller and started becoming competitive in the spelling bees.
     "Once I started believing I was smart, I really didn't care that much about what anybody else thought about me, and I became consumed with a desire to increase my learning far beyond that of my classmates.  The more I read biographies about those who had made significant accomplishments in life, the more I wanted to emulate them.  By the time I reached the seventh grade, I reveled in the fact that the same classmates who used to taunt me were now coming to me, asking how to solve problems or spell words.  Once the joy of learning filled my heart, there was no stopping me."

Isn't that awesome?  I'm sure we can all come up with examples of people who have made something of themselves who don't really read, but I'm guessing there are more examples that prove Dr. Carson's point that reading is important if you want to get ahead in life.

Have you read any good biographies lately?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …