Skip to main content

Show and Tell: Home Tour Edition

Today I'm linking up again with Momfessionals for Show and Tell Tuesday.
 This time the theme is house tours.  I love seeing how people arrange and decorate their houses and I've wondered, if we ever live in the USA again, about getting a real estate license.  I don't know....but it sounds interesting to me to help people find a place that's just right for them.

I'm especially excited about this post because in June we had to have a large portion of our ceiling torn out because termites had lunch up there.  


They even ate the rafter that had the ceiling fan attached to it.  Yikes! Yep, they ate the whole thing. We had planned on getting our house painted this summer, too, because the paint was peeling off the walls.  So from having our ceiling torn out, to getting a termite treatment done (that stuff reeks!), to having the ceiling re-done, to painting with oil-based paint, we couldn't live in our house for about a month.

 Thankfully our next-door neighbors were gone and let us use their house!  All that to say, our house has a fresh coat of paint and everything is pretty much back in place and now is a great time to take pictures!

In all these pictures you may be curious about our windows.  We have screens and security bars on the outside of the sill and then on the inside are glass windows on metal frames that open up into the house.  It's a real pain to have to lift the curtains over the windows when ever you open or shut them.  So in some of the pictures you'll notice that we haven't even bothered.  And, other than our bedroom curtains, I made all our curtains.

When you walk in the front door, you step right into our living room.  It's a strange room in that it's long and narrow.  Some people have galley kitchens....well, we have a galley living room! There is pretty much only one way to arrange it since you have to walk through the middle of it to get to the rest of the house.  But we like it and try to not let the size of it prevent us from having people over.  We have had 13 in Bible study, but that's about all we can hold!

Straight ahead and part of the living room is our dining room.  I like that it's all an open area.  It also makes for nice air flow which is nice since we only have air conditioning in the bedrooms.

To the left off the living room is our bedroom and we have an en suite bathroom.  I made a quilt from orange and blue African fabrics, so one wall is orange and the other three are blue.  We had the same color scheme before, but the orange was too dark and almost looked red and the blue was not the right shade.  This blue still isn't quite right, but it's better.  Folks, there are no paint stores here where you can choose a paint chip.  You show the painter a piece of fabric or something and then you squat beside buckets of paint and mix a little of this and a little of that on the lid until you think you've got it right.  The orange was fairly easy as we just needed to find the right amount of red and yellow to mix.  But the blue was really tricky and we couldn't figure out what to do to get it just right.  So we've got "close enough"!  I should also explain that that's a mosquito net at the end of the bed which we pull up over the bed at night.  
The reddish wood (that doesn't match the rest of the furniture!) is our wardrobe since we don't have a built-in closet.  Yep, we fit all our clothes in the wardrobe and in the dresser which you see to the left.

Our washing machine is in our bathroom.  Other than that, it's just your basic bathroom.  We don't have a bathtub.

Back in the living room...the room next to ours to the left of the living room is a store room.  It's just got all of our junk in it.

Then the room to the left off the dining room is kind of an extra room.  I have my desk in here and my sewing stuff is also in this room.  John's weights are in here and his music books are in the tall wardrobe.  The aqua curtain on the wardrobe was a bedspread I turned into a curtain.  John chose a green color in the curtains (which also have the aqua color in them) for an accent wall. 

 He helped the painter get that color just right and I really like it.

My kitchen is off the dining room.  I really like my kitchen.  It's a great size for just the two of us and I love my red accents.  It makes it look cheery without being overpowered by red.

Off the same side of the dining room as the kitchen there is a little hallway with floor to ceiling storage cupboards.  Off of that is a bathroom and a bedroom.  The bathroom is pretty basic.....The shower is so small you can hardly take a shower without getting tangled in the curtain. Yeah, not very pretty, but it's functional.

 
When our daughter was home, this bedroom was hers (our son had gone to college by the time we moved here), but now it's John's office.   We had the end wall a dark brown, but it really looked maroon.  In spite of those windows, it tends to be a dark room, so we brightened it up this time with a much lighter brown.  John spends a lot of time holed up in here working on his doctorate or preparing for classes.  We do use it as a guest room, but aren't really prepared to have long term guests since John needs to work in there.

So, that's our house.  It may be humble, but we like it.  After all, it's true that there's no place like home be it ever so humble!

Comments

Phil and Barb said…
Nicely done, Nancy! I like the blue; it is a "happy" blue1 Making your house feel like a "home" is one of the challenges of living in Niger (termites, mosquitoes, red dust . . . ), but people do it with paint, fabric, and most of all love! You have used all!
Barb Palmer
A. Kay Daniel said…
Thank you for the tour! My favorite room was the kitchen... maybe because my kitchen has red accents as well. Your place looks comfy and homey, which is the goal, isn't it? Nicely done.
Alta Peng said…
That is devastating. The damage that termites can inflict on infrastructures is a serious cause for concern. Indeed, you should employ all means to keep these creatures from eating into any more of the posts and the roof, then maybe track their colony and decisively deal with it. Anyway, it’s great that you had a place to stay in while the renovations were being done to your roof. Good luck with all that, and take care!

Alta Peng @ Liberty Pest

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …