Skip to main content

Thoughts from the Dunes

It always feels good to get out of the city and let the wind blow my hair and be able to see the horizon.  I was telling John today how closed in I feel in the city.  I mean, we can barely see the sky!  The dunes are just outside of Niamey, but I really feel like we've put the city behind us whenever we go out there.  

Because about 3/4's of Niger's land mass is in the desert you may think all Niger is is one big sand dune.  But we live in the Sahel region (which actually means "shore").  The Sahel, as I explained in my last post, is the band between the desert and the savanna or the grasslands.  So we do have trees and scrub brush growing.  While there is sand everywhere, there aren't sand dunes everywhere.  

It feels great to sit on top of the dunes and look at the world around us.  The quiet soothes my soul.  The immense piles of shifting sand fill me with wonder at God's creation.

There are always some people who live nearby who follow us up the dunes.  One of them is employed by the government to make sure people don't destroy the dunes or ruin them for other people....kind of the idea of a park ranger.  He seemed to have a young man that he left in charge who made sure little kids didn't annoy us.  The other missionary we went with was able to talk to him a bit, but they were having a hard time understanding each other.  Even though they were speaking the same language, they were speaking different dialects.

As evening came on we saw people heading home.  Then the cows passed by in the dry stream bed below us, ready to be milked and to eat whatever dry stalks their owners could give them.  Two little boys went by carrying fodder for animals on their heads.  As darkness descended, cooking fires became visible.  Voices could be heard in the distance, carried to us on the wind.  My friend remarked, "I love this time of day.  It has such a homey feel to it."

But as we looked around and saw little hamlets where people live, I had to think of how most of them have never heard the Gospel.  All across Niger there are village after village where people are living and dying without having heard the message of good news.

Today started the yearly fast.  Can I ask you to join us especially during this month in praying for our friends and neighbors here?  Please pray for God to reveal Himself to many during this month.

Pray for us to be faithful, too, and to take the opportunities given to us.  "How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of them that bring good news!"

Comments

Jon Banke said…
Well said.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…