Sunday, May 03, 2015

Thankfulness this Week

You may have noticed I didn't do any thankful pictures last week.  It's not that I wasn't thankful.....but three days of eight-hour long meetings didn't leave me much time for anything else.  

So, this week,

Monday -- We got in a container of medical supplies that will be going to our medical centers.  Meanwhile they line the halls of our office.  The added benefit?  It muffles the sound of a hallway that normally exaggerates and echoes sound.  It's so much quieter with all this stuff in the hall! 

Tuesday -- I'm very thankful for a nice pool where I can go to get some exercise when it's so hot.  And this picture is for my sister, to show her that not only do we eat in a "prison yard", we also swim in one! :)























Wednesday -- I'm thankful for my kitty, Queen of Sheba, who keeps me company.  I don't know why, but suddenly she's become a TV watcher.  She'll actually sit in front of the TV and watch it.  She never used to do this.




Thursday -- We had a power cut on Thursday that went from about 2 p.m. to midnight and then again from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. on Friday morning.  I'm really thankful for a fridge that stays cool even when the power is off that long!

 

Friday -- May 1st is a holiday in Niger (Laborers' Day) and the women of the five assemblies of our church association always get together for the morning.  Some women from other churches come, too.  Each group does special numbers, we have a message, singing, etc.  There is a lot of lively dancing and fun, in spite of the heat.


I love how this mom danced with her sleeping baby....and brought her handbag along, too!
This is one super talented kid.  He's about five, but looks small for his age.  There are two drum sets and the musicians let him play one (he'd love to do that every Sunday!).  He has amazing rhythm.  Yeah, and playing the drums doesn't keep one from enjoying their juice-in-a-bag!
Saturday -- I love finding evidence that the neighbor kids have been playing in my yard.  Because I'm pretty sure that's the only explanation for polar bears in the trees on the edge of the desert!


Sunday -- I'm trying to cut down on the amount of sugar I eat/drink.  I used to drink a Coke a day.  That was my treat and sure tasted good on a hot day.  Now I allow myself one Coke a week.  But I get tired of just water, so I drink quite a bit of iced tea with no sugar.  This is a little different.  I use a small handful of dried hibiscus flowers, two sprigs of mint, about a teaspoon of grated ginger, and a large tablespoon of Kenyan Marsala chai tea (any spicy type of tea would be good:  chai, Earl Grey, Constant Comment, etc.).  I also use about 1/4 cup of sugar because the hibiscus is very tart.  This makes a two-quart jug of tea and is very refreshing!

No comments: