Skip to main content

Changes in our Church

It's been interesting to watch the local church we attend go through some changes in the past four to six years.  Some of them are cosmetic, as you'll see, while others are more important than just how the church looks.  

This is how the church looked for a long time.

Facing the front, there were windows on both sides of the room.  The side to your right in this picture also had two doors, one on each end of the wall.
We would try to get there in time to sit by the window so that if the power went off we could still get some air!  I always put my Bible up on the window sill.  Then the Sunday before the flood I left the room quickly with our house guest who thought she was going to pass out.  I never went back in to get it....the flood happened that week....I never saw that Bible again.  

As you can see, it was pretty crowded with the choir there, the podium, and then....out the door.  In this picture, it looks like nobody came to church, but by the end of a service, the church is packed.  They had taken to moving the chairs closer and closer together until it got to the point that you couldn't even stand up, let alone do any dancing!  So, the church began working on knocking out a wall and adding on to the building.  But before they got that done, we had the flood and spent most of the next eight months meeting in a tent.  It was ok, and we managed, and it was a good reminder that we don't have to have fancy to do church.  But here in Niger, you definitely have to have shade to do church!
So,  our first Sunday back in our church building, we were still facing the same direction as the photos above.  But now the wall to the left was missing and construction was under way!


By Easter Sunday, just a few weeks after the two pictures just above, the roof was on the new addition. The way the room faced now rotated 90 degrees to the right. Now you can see that where the front of the church used to be was now the left side of the church.  The windows that we used to try to sit by are now the front of the church.  Right behind the choir in this picture was "our window".  Since this picture was taken, the choir has moved to the left of the podium.  We know have plenty of room for the musicians, there is a big space in front of the podium for when there are special presentations, and the chairs aren't squished so close together anymore.


Oh, and don't be fooled by those air conditioners up there.  One has been taken out and I've never seen either of them turned on, anyway.  

Then one Sunday we walked in and found that the walls had been painted (I'd never seen them anything but grey and white) and we had pretty wall hangings at the front.  And when those curtains or whatever you want to call them get dirty, the women take them down and rehang them in a different way.  I've never seen them rehung the same way twice.  Somebody definitely has an interior decorator's skills!  Take a look at the pictures below to see what can be done with drapery materials!




But there are other changes going on at our church that are much more important than the cosmetic changes!  It's definitely nice to have more room and I appreciate a place that looks nice.  But I've worshiped where we swept aside sheep poop and sat on a mat on the ground and I'm cool with that, too. 

The really exciting thing that's happening is the emphasis our church is putting on missions.  They've decided that they need to be a going and a sending church.  When we left where we used to live, there was a second village where we had planted a church.  We asked our church in Niamey if they could help with making sure that church wasn't forgotten.  They have since done a great job on keeping in touch with that church and joining them for evangelism campaigns a few times a year.  Now they have added a 2nd outpost and have plans for outreach in several quartiers here in Niamey.  And just recently the church brought on board a full-time missions pastor and his wife.  Now THAT's something to get excited about!  The same Sunday that he was commissioned, the evangelism outposts were named (I've blurred the names for security reasons).  Here are some pictures of that Sunday.



Please pray for our church as we get involved in missions and pray for our new missions' pastor and his wife.  Pray that a good number of people will be involved in the different outreach ministries and not just assume the pastor can do it all.  Pray that many in the church will give generously to missions and pray that the Holy Spirit will move among us and that everybody will be involved in some way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…