Saturday, January 03, 2015

Thankfulness Photos

Two years ago I read Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts.  She challenges her readers to write down three things a day for which they are thankful.  If you do that, you can easily get to 1,000 things a year for which to give thanks.  I've been doing that for the past two years, but as with anything one does repetitively, it has begun to feel like I've fallen into a rut and that I am just writing things down to fill out a list and get to 1,000 in a year without really focusing on being thankful.  So this year I thought I'd change things a bit.

One thing I really enjoy as a hobby is photography.  I'm not professional by any means and would really like to learn more about taking good photos.  I like the way taking pictures causes me to look at the world differently and in a fresh way.  So I thought I'd combine photography with thankfulness.

My plan is to take a photo a day of something for which I'm thankful.  I'll post the photos on my blog and on Facebook at the end of each week (either Saturday or Sunday).  Of course, WHEN and IF I post are highly dependent on working internet!  And I'll be the first to acknowledge that I probably won't really get around to taking a photo every day.  But if I don't set a goal, I won't do it ever.

If you'd like to do this, too, go ahead!  I don't hold any copyrights on this idea.

So, this week was short....only three days if I start January 1.

January 1, 2015--Normally I make sticky buns for the day we open Christmas gifts.  But there is so much to do in preparing meals for Christmas that it didn't happen.  Then I was so exhausted and not feeling great, so I didn't make them.  By the time I got around to making them, it was New Year's Day.  And this may be a new tradition for us....sticky buns on New Year's Day.  I'm thankful for sticky buns and I'm thankful to feel well enough to make them.  

January 2--A picture of a store room?  Yes!  Our store room.  Let me explain.  Yesterday I had so much to do and part of it was my fault because I hadn't even thought that one of the empty houses we are using for conference housing needed to be cleaned.  Before I went racing out the door I had gathered all the Christmas decorations in one place with the intention of storing them away "later".  When I came home John had put away all the decorations, put all the regular pictures and stuff back in their places, and had tidied up the store room.  Wow!  What a gift that was!!!!  Today I am thankful for a husband who is a true servant and who makes me feel loved (can you tell acts of service is my love language?).

January 3--At our conference we have coffee break several times a day.  The past few years we have hired somebody to make cakes, but this year that lady is doing a lot of the meal prep.  So a missionary is making the cakes.  This is a lot of cakes, people!  So I volunteered to help her a bit.  She asked me to make white cakes for the kids, so I thought I'd add a bit of colored frosting for fun. I'm thankful today that I could help a friend.


No comments: