Saturday, January 31, 2015

Liebster Award

Have you ever heard of the Liebster Award?  No?  Me neither, until yesterday!  Suzanne at The Glorious Mundane nominated me to participate in this get-to-know you blogging challenge.  So apparently the Liebster Award is when one blogger asks other blogging friends a series of questions.  Their blogging friends answer the questions, then nominate other blogging friends to answer questions.  So here are the questions Suzanne asked me:

1.  How did you decide on the title of your blog?  Most of you know me by "Nancy", but that's just an odd and unusual name here in West Africa.  A Nigerian friend, over 30 years ago, told me I needed to have an African name, so he called me "Hannatu".  The cool thing is that "Hannatu" would be "Hannah" in English and Nancy and Hannah have the same derivative word.  The name means grace.  Happenings just goes well with Hannatu as the blog is just kind of a journal of what's happening in my life.

2.  What are some of your favorite past-times?  My favorite is reading.  I enjoy looking around the internet at other people's blogs and Pinterest, but the internet is so slow here that really isn't that much fun.  I like going for walks.  My husband and I watch a movie just about every Friday night and have home-made pizza with it.  That's definitely a highlight of the week!

3.  Describe a typical day in your life.  The alarm goes off at 5:15 a.m. and I throw it across the room.  No, I don't really throw it, I just think about throwing it.  Before I leave for work I do some exercise (either something with weights or go for a walk), read my Bible and pray, eat breakfast, feed the cat, and some mornings throw in a load of laundry.  7:30 I'm heading out the door (or should be).  We have office devotions between 7:30 and 8:00.  I check Facebook, then get busy on emails.  I spend a large amount of my day answering emails.  12:30 I head home for lunch and a siesta.  Often I skip the siesta and just go back to work because I have so much to do.  More emails, talking to people, phone calls, etc.  At 6:00 I go home and make supper and we usually eat around 7:00.  After supper I put away laundry, check personal email and Facebook, take a shower, read for awhile, go to sleep.  I know it sounds super boring, but honestly, I never know exactly what a day will hold and there's almost always something surprising or challenging.  I'd like more days that are as boring as the one I just described!

4.  What is one thing you are sentimental about?  I'm not a very sentimental person.  I think I'm sentimental about anything I own that belonged to somebody no longer living.  I'm also very sentimental about family pictures.

5.  What is your most favorite or most read blog?  It's definitely The Glorious Mundane, and not just because I'm the mom of the author and I have to say that.  I really, truly enjoy it.

6.  What is one goal you have for 2015?  One of my personal goals is to take a picture each day of something I'm thankful for.  It's harder than it sounds!  A work goal is to revise the orientation handbook.  OK, that was two goals.

7.  What is your favorite blog post that The Glorious Mundane wrote?  Honestly, I don't know and the internet is too slow to spend hours browsing back through.  But in general, my favorites are the monthly update on my grandbaby's month birthday.

8.  What is your favorite aspect of blogging?  For me it's a good way to express myself.  When I sit down and write out what I'm thinking, it helps me process things.  I also love including photos and I feel like my photography has improved a lot since I first started blogging.

9.  What is the meaning behind your name?  Are you named after anyone?  See #1 for the meaning of my name ("grace").  I am not named after anyone.  But my middle name, Evelyn, is a family name passed down quite frequently on my mom's side of the family.  My grandma was Ada Evelyn.  Her mother's middle name was also Evelyn and either her mother or her grandmother had Evelyn as a middle name.  So both I and my parents were pleased when Suz and Theo gave Tera the middle name of Evelynne (they changed the spelling).

10.  What is your favorite season and why?  When I'm in the USA it's definitely spring.  I think snow is pretty but I just get so, so tired of being cold.  So I love when the days start to warm up, the flowers and leaves pop out, and birds and wild animals come back north or out of hibernation.  Spring is a season of growth and renewal and I love all that it symbolizes.  And because it has lilacs, daffodils, lily of the valleys, and crocuses.  When I'm in Niger, it's cold season.  Even though it's dusty then the temperatures are so pleasant and I feel like I have a lot more energy.

11.  Tell me 10 random things about yourself.
*  I was born in Nigeria and have lived more of my life in West Africa than in the USA.
*  I used to have really blonde straight hair.
*  I have a degree in Elementary Education, but love my current human resources job more than teaching (which I also loved....but I love this more).
*  I once fell off the back of a motorcycle and my dad didn't believe my sister when she said I fell off.  Yes, we had three of us on the motorcycle and no, it wasn't on a main road, but on a bumpy path.
*  I've lived in seven different states in the USA.
*  I've lived in two different countries in Africa.
*  Purple is my favorite color.
*  I'm consistently late to just about everything.
*  I can speak three languages reasonably well (English, French, Songhai), but only one of them fluently (English!).
*  I love finding out the meaning of Greek and Hebrew words in the Bible and how that gives greater understanding to the Bible verse.

OK, so I nominate for the Liebster Award:
Serving in Sahel
Hannah Joy in Africa
Podso
Amanda's Musings

All you need to do is answer the questions below on your blog.  Then create a list of your own 10 questions for the bloggers you nominate.  Question #11 should be ten random things about yourself.

And my questions for you are:
1.  What is the most difficult thing for you about blogging?
2.  What is your pet peeve?
3.  If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go and why?
4.  What book has influenced you greatly (other than the Bible)?
5.  If you could change anything about yourself, what would you change?
6.  What is your favorite verse in the Bible? 


7.  What was your most embarrassing moment?
8.  If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose to meet and why?
9.  Do you enjoy taking risks?
10.  What was the best thing that happened to you today?
11.  Tell me 10 random things about yourself.


No comments: