Skip to main content

Coconut, Coconut Milk, and Coconut Butter


Awhile ago I read that coconut is good for thyroid health. There seems to be some disagreement about that. But even if that is not true, coconut oil does have a saturated fat called lauric acid which increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol ratio levels. It is high in protein and potassium as well as other vitamins. In addition to these purported health benefits, it tastes good! You can read more about coconut here.




I found that I can buy tins of coconut milk here and I have bought some and have been using it, but the list of added ingredients is kind of scary. So I was excited to find a recipe for making your own coconut milk. The instructions are here. Since we can get raw coconut here I decided to try making it from a raw coconut instead of dried coconut like the recipe describes.


First I had to crack the shell, drain the water, and get the pieces out of the shell. A few good whacks on the coconut with a hammer is a good way to release some frustrations! As you can see, the pieces of coconut are a bit dirty from the coconut shell, but that is easily remedied by a quick rinse with water. I also saved the coconut water to use as part of the water to make the milk. I had to strain the dirt out of that, too. At last I was ready to shred it in my food processor. Then I put the shredded coconut in the blender and added the hot water as described. But that was too much for my blender, so I discovered I had to do half the amount at a time. The next step is to drain it through a "nut bag". I don't have a nut bag, so I used a clean linen dish towel. The liquid that comes out as you squeeze the bag or towel, is your coconut milk. It's a nice drink and only two ingredients: coconut and water! I know there are no nasty additives in this drink. The blogger does say you can freeze the milk, which I did. She warns that it will separate, which it did. She also says that when you shake it, it will blend back together, which it doesn't. So the frozen coconut milk looks kind of curdled, but it's not and it tastes fine in spite of its appearance. I don't think I'll freeze it again, though.

Another web site explained how to make your own coconut butter which I was excited to try. The recipe for that is here. The only ingredient it lists is dried coconut. So, I thought since fresh worked for the milk, why not for making butter. I grated it up in my food processor and then blended, blended, blended, blended, blended as the recipe says. I could never get it to reduce down any further than the fourth picture she shows. Reading through the comments on her blog I see the coconut has to be dried, so maybe I should try it again but dry the coconut first. Let's just say the way I did it didn't work.


So then I had all of this mushed up coconut, half way between grated and butter. What to do with it? I could throw it out....I mean each coconut was the equivalent of $1.00 so no big loss. But in a country where most people don't have enough to eat, that just seems really wasteful to me. So I found a cookie recipe for coconut cookies and used it in those cookies. They were super simple cookies and tasted delicious. Best of all, nothing was wasted!


By the way, the cookie recipe was in this gem of a cookbook I picked up on a missionary sale table some time. Apparently Meryle (whoever she was!) cooked for the hungry masses! There are old notes that she left in the cookbook, too. I like the book because it is from the 1960's and uses very basic ingredients.


Have you made coconut milk or coconut butter? Any tricks you can teach me about how to do it?

Comments

Georgene G. said…
Good for you! No, I haven't made the milk or butter myself. I buy coconut milk, cream of coconut and coconut butter. I made ice cream, candy and muffins from it. I no longer can tolerate dairy.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …