Skip to main content

Looking back on Our Vacation

We are so thankful we were able to go back to the USA for a month.  Our main reason for going was to help our daughter when her first child was born.  We spent the majority of our time welcoming the new love of our life, our first granddaughter.  We did a lot of cooking, cleaning, laundry, and caring for pets, but we also did a lot of cuddling, snuggling, and loving on this beautiful baby.  It was with tears and sadness that we may be two years before we get back to the USA.  We are just very thankful for emails, Skype, and Facebook.  When I was a kid my grandparents didn't have those luxuries.

While in Ohio with Suzanne, Theo, and Tera we did a few fun things like going to the Corn Festival (yes, it is southern Ohio, after all!)
and visiting Yellow Springs, a nearby small town that has a very unique atmosphere.  
We also went to Young's one night where we played mini golf and had ice cream afterwards.  And we all went to a Thai restaurant for our anniversary.  But mostly we just stayed home and loved on that baby.

We also went to Florida to visit my parents and to Connecticut to visit John's mom.  We flew since we didn't have a car or time to drive.  We figured it was cheaper anyway.  We got some really good deals on Southwest and best of all didn't have to pay for all the luggage we had with us (we are allowed two free pieces on international travel, so it's nice that Southwest still has the same regulations).

 We went out to eat some and we celebrated Labor Day with other retired missionaries in Sebring, but mostly we just stayed home and enjoyed catching up with each other.  We only had three days in each location so we had no desire to do a lot of running around.  Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures in either Florida or Connecticut!

We spent our last two days with Daniel and Kelly.  They got tickets to go to a baseball game.  We took the metro there as driving and parking would have been difficult at best.  We took a bus first, then went to the Metro station.  There were so many people there who had the same idea as us.  So we joined the crowd to squeeze our way onto the next train.  Then Daniel told us we should go down to the end of the platform because the next train would have eight cars and it would run the entire length of the platform.  None of us believed him at first and were hesitant to lose our place in "line" (depending on your definition of line!).  But we finally believed him and went to the end of the platform.  It wasn't obvious that you could even get down there because we had to go back under a stair case and down a dark area along the stairs.  When we got to the end of the platform there were only about five other people standing around there.  We all told Daniel he'd better be right.  The train pulled in and sure enough, it had eight cars and the eighth one stopped right next to us.  We got onto a nearly empty car while all those other people squeezed into the first five cars.  Daniel rides the rails like a Boss! Here we are in our nearly empty car.

It was the Nationals against the Phillies.  Unfortunately the Nats lost, but it was still a fun experience.  

We each bought a big bottle of water at the grocery store for .87 cents before going to the game.  At the game they were selling beer for $8.00 a can and water for not much less than that.  They must have made a killing on drinks because it was a really hot day.  We did break down and bought Cokes and some french fries at far more than what they were worth!  But it was all part of the fun, I guess.

It turns out that the special event of the day was Faith Night so we were pretty excited about catching a free Lincoln Brewster concert after the game.  But a thunder storm came in and they decided to cancel the concert since they didn't want Lincoln Brewster getting zapped by lightning.  We were a bit disappointed by that, but we had waited around the park for a long time waiting to hear if they were going to cancel or not.  So by the time we left, most of the other 37,800 fans had already cleared out and the metro wasn't too crowded on the way back.

We also went to an Ethiopian restaurant with Daniel and Kelly and the injeera and wat was a hit with all of us.

It was a great vacation.  In some ways it was not the most restful one we've had, but welcoming a grandchild was definitely one of the biggest highlights of my life.


Georgene G. said…
Such joy! Congrats on your new grandbaby! It sounds like a wonderful time!
podso said…
You fit a lot into a month, but most importantly, and fun, welcoming your sweet grandchild. Wonderful pictures. Congratulations!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  

I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.

While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  

We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.

Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …