Skip to main content

House Repairs

If you follow my blog, you probably remember the post I did here on house hunting.  You may wonder if we took that house or not.  Well, yes we did.  And God has really blessed us by giving us an amazing landlord who has done everything we asked and more.

Here are some before and after pictures.  The kitchen before.  A bit like a cave, don't you think?

When my co-worker, Beka, brought her husband along to see the house, he had the brilliant idea of knocking out the wall between the living room and the kitchen.  It doesn't make the kitchen any bigger...it's still a small kitchen, but it gives it more light and air.  They also added a small window and a door that can be opened for extra light (the door in this picture would normally be closed as it will be a screen door). The landlord also added a sink and a bit of a bench.  We'll have to add in cupboards....that's not standard in kitchens here.  He also added a second light fixture and about five outlets.
 


And here is a before picture of the living room looking towards the kitchen.  All the windows had these metal shutters on them which work well as security bars and to keep out light.  But they don't do much to keep out dust.  And the windows didn't have screens on them, either.  The kitchen door is in the center of the picture.


An after picture looking towards the kitchen.


After:  The living room looking towards the kitchen door.  The little window is for air flow because the bedroom there doesn't have a window.  It will be used for a study, not a bedroom.


The living room now, looking from the kitchen towards the front door.  The hall leads to the bathroom and three bedrooms.



This is one of the bedrooms before.  Same kind of windows, fan didn't work, etc. He switched the windows with the other kind, changed the fans, and painted in all the bedrooms.


And here is the same bedroom after.  

And a corner of the front of the house showing the terrace which he tiled.  In the back is a store room with a covered terrace that he also tiled.  The washing machine will be hooked up out there.  He added a washing machine hook-up and outlet there.

So, what do you think?  (Once all the trash gets picked up!)

Comments

Deb said…
That's sooo amazing. Well done Lord, you are awesome.
Unknown said…
I'm waiting for your all moved in pics!!
Jo said…
SO fun to see the before and after pictures! The kitchen had the biggest transformantion!
Your posts are always fun to read!
Beth said…
Wow! The kitchen is SO much lighter and there's a big difference between what I saw last week and what you saw on Friday. Looks great!
Matthew said…
Do you have update image of this? How it looks after you moved in?

In case you guys needs best energy efficient windows and replace your old one, we happy to assist you.


Nancy
Katie Barker said…
wow! How exciting to move into a fixed up place :)

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …