Skip to main content

Musical Instruments in Niger


About six weeks ago John and I went to visit Niamey's music museum.  John has been there several times and has established a relationship with the center's director.  The day that John and I went, John asked if we could take pictures inside the museum without a flash.  Photography is forbidden, according to the sign at the door, but we saw people taking pictures with their phones and they were with a guide who could have said something.  Still, we felt better about specifically asking before taking pictures.  So, yes, I had permission to take these pictures.  :)



It's not a really fancy museum, and some parts of it were outdated.  For example, they had books about music that were really old and records and tapes to listen to.  It all should be digitized. It kind of looked like an idea for a place to do research on music, but the information they had in that room seemed mainly western.  But I liked the structure of the building and the way they put sand on the floors, just like there are in traditional houses.
  They also painted the walls with the designs found on traditional woven blankets as well as hanging some of the blankets themselves.  And I love that they have a mortal and pestle as an instrument.  Many of the women really get a rhythm going with their mortars and they pound with enough force that one can feel the vibration on the ground.


John is doing research on Songhai/Zarma music and its use in worship in churches, so most of the pictures we took are of Songhai/Zarma instruments.  The instruments are arranged by ethnic group.



The gumbe is made from barrels and, as far as I know, is only played at wedding dances, which, incidentally, the bride and groom don't attend.
An animal skin is stretched across the top and a section is cut from the side for greater resonance. 
Moolos....sort of like a three-string guitar, only they are plucked, not strummed.
These drums are called biiti, but I don't remember ever seeing one in Tera.  Maybe they are Zarma but not Songhai?

The dondon is used by the "town criers".  In Tera when we used to hear the beating of the dondon, we knew there was going to be an important announcement.  He would beat the drum, yell, "Everybody's listening, right?" and then proceed to give his announcement.
The gasu is a calabashed, shaped like a bowl.  A shallow hole is dug in the ground and the calabash is placed over it for greater resonance.  It can then be played one of two ways.  When played with rings on the hands it makes a sound like, well, like metal being tapped on wood, kind of like tapping your ring on the table.  But when it is hit with these sticks, it makes more of a clacking sound.  When hit with these sticks, it is always for the music that accompanies a demon possession dance.
The goje is always used in spirit possession ceremonies.  It is a one-stringed violin-sort of instrument and its distinctive sound is often described as a "wail."  Whenever we heard the goje and the gasu, we would know a demon possession ceremony was going on.  It's an eerie sound to me.

At one point I got bored waiting for John while he was talking to the museum guy so I played with my ring in the sand.  My camera is always good for passing the time when I'm bored.


We also discovered that they will make instruments for you (at a price, obviously), so John is thinking of having an instrument made.  There are also musicians there that you can take lessons from to learn to play a traditional instrument.  John wants to take some lessons, too, to learn a new instrument.  Whether or not he would do that at the center, I don't know. These are two of the musicians there who played for us.

They also have a small amphitheater.  If you bring a school or a class for a field trip and let them know ahead of time, they will make sure that there are musicians there to demonstrate various instruments to your group.  I think this would be a great place for a field trip for a music class, Nigerien history class, etc.  As I said, it's very simple and basic, but interesting never-the-less.  If you're interested, John can give you the name and phone number of the man in charge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …