Skip to main content

Hope, No Matter What

Last year I read through the Bible in a year.  I like doing that every three or four years or so.  But I find it hard to have enough time to look more in depth at certain passages when I have to keep up with a Bible-reading schedule.  So in other years I like to study a book, a passage, or even a word in more depth.

Anybody who follows my blog or receives our prayer letters will know that we had a devastating flood on two of our mission campuses in August of 2012.  




This resulted in our ministries on those campuses finding temporary locations as well as the need to find housing for around 54 people.  The year that followed was a year of organizing teams to come out to help with clean-up, hiring local workers to help with clean-up, and building a retaining wall inside our security wall.  It meant another move  from our temporary locations back to campus.

It was a time of discouragement, of desperation, and of despair.  It was also a time of hope, of clinging to our Father's promises, of rebuilding, and of restoration.  The building that was the hardest hit on the Sahel Academy Campus was the dining hall/kitchen/assembly hall building.  As it was cleaned up, restored, remodeled, and moved back into, it was also given a new name:  Hope Hall.


During our Spiritual Life Conference in January, the visiting team had the youth make a puzzle collage focusing on the word "HOPE".


 This got me thinking more about the word as it is used in the Bible.  We tend to think of it as "not likely to happen but I will wish for it to happen...against all odds".  In fact, the Cambridge International Dictionary of English defines hope as "a desire for the future to be as good as you want it to be".

So, I've been looking up verses on HOPE and then looking up the Hebrew or Greek word.  I've found BibleHub.com to be a great resource. I'm no Hebrew scholar, but one of the passages I've been looking at is intriguing to me for it's three Hebrew words, all translated HOPE.

Lamentations 3:18-26 uses the word numerous times:
v. 18  So I say, "My splendor is gone and all that I had hoped from the Lord.
v. 21-25  Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope.  Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  I will say to myself, "The LORD is my portion, therefore I will wait for him.  The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD."

In verse 18 the word is tocheleth and it means "expectation".

In verse 21 (Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope) and verse 24 (I will wait for him) the word is yachal and it simply means "to wait".

In verse 25  (those whose hope is in him) the Hebrew word is qavah and it also means "to wait" but with the added idea of "twisting, stretching, the tension of enduring.

So, my understanding of these verses is that the writer (Jeremiah, who is lamenting the state his people have fallen into and the punishment God is allowing for their sins) is this:
Jeremiah expected certain things from God but through affliction he no longer had them.  Then he finds he can wait for God when he focuses on His love, His mercy, His compassion, and His faithfulness.  Seeking God and waiting for Him brings a certain amount of twisting of the soul, of tightening, of tension.  It results in a firmer faith in God, a dependence on Him no matter what, a clinging to God despite everything falling apart around him.

Hoping in God is not something that's always easy to do.  Sometimes we question God, especially during hard times.  There is a tension to it, a twisting of our hearts and souls.  It is something that can only happen when we focus on God.

Comments

Jane Stutzman said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane Stutzman said…
I like this a lot, Nancy...you've done a good job.
Mommy Becoming said…
I really, really love this. Thank you for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…