Skip to main content

ABC's of Me

Back in February Suzanne did a fun post on "The ABC's of Me".  Since nothing terribly exciting has been happening in my life (busy, yes; exciting, no), I thought I'd do a similar post.

Age:  All I’ll admit to is that I’m in the 2nd half century of my life.
My birthday is in May.  Here's a picture from a few years back.  We were in the US that year.  May is one of my favorite months in the US.  Notice I am wearing a sweater and look fresh and alive.  Now, here is a picture of me celebrating my birthday in Niger.  I look like something the cat dragged in.  Let me tell you, May is my least favorite month in Niger and it's a terrible month to have a birthday.  One word to describe May in Niger would have to be SWEAT.  

Bed size:  Double.  I don’t think anything bigger would fit in our room. 
Thankfully neither of us are big people and we’re very comfortable in our bed!  Except in May when the power goes off, then we're like, "Don't touch me!"

Chore I dislike:  Dishes.  Definitely dishes.  I have to admit I do have somebody who comes in and does the floors, dusting, and ironing twice a week.  And yes, dishes.  Monday nights and Thursday nights are our favorites because we know he’s coming to wash the dishes the next day!  And I really shouldn’t complain because John does the dishes on Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday and I do them on Wednesday and usually on Saturday.  Sometimes there aren’t many dishes on Friday, so he’ll help me do them on Saturday instead.

Dogs or cats:  I really prefer dogs, but John doesn’t like dogs at all.  Plus, people around here are really afraid of dogs, so we don’t have one.  When Daniel was three, a neighbor gave him a kitten which lived for 16 years.  Now we have another cat that neighbors gave us.




Essential daily item:  Food?  Clothes?  Those are kind of essential.  I guess because of my work I try to always have my phone with me.

Favorite color:  Purple. Very definitely purple.

Gold or silver:  Definitely silver.  Even my wedding and engagement rings are white gold.  I do have one “gold” set of earrings and necklace, but other than that I don’t wear gold.

Height:  5’2” and probably as my mom always says, “and shrinking”.

Instrument playing:  You’d think after six years of piano lessons I’d be pretty good at it.  But I’m not.  I only play for my own enjoyment.

Job title:  Personnel coordinator.  I love my job, but it definitely keeps me busy. 


Kids:  Two, a son and a daughter.  No, make that four:  a daughter-in-law and a son-in-law, too.


Live:  In west Africa.  I have lived more of my life in Africa than in America.

Mom’s name:  Betty Louise Gay Hall.  The “Hall” came when she married my dad.  Betty is not short for Elizabeth or anything else, just Betty.  My mom is amazing, by the way.


Names I have:  Nancy Evelyn, Hannatu, Anasara, Honey, Giwa and NannyGlo which only my dad is allowed to call me, so don’t even try it.  My grandpa always called his grandkids “Widget”.  Little did he know it would become a computer term.

Operations:  Tonsillectomy when I was three.  An operation to repair the messed up episiotomy and other damage sustained during Daniel’s birth. 

Pet Peeves:  People standing behind my chair when I'm working and making it turn or making me feel like they’re looking over my shoulder.  By brain immediately freezes up and I can no longer do whatever I was working on.  People chewing loudly.  Crazy drivers who think they own the road.

Quotes from a movie:  “The husband is the head of the family.  But the woman is the neck.  She turns the head wherever she wants it to go.” (My Big Fat Greek Wedding)  “As you wish.”  (Princess Bride)  I don’t really remember lines from movies.

Right or left:  Right

Siblings:  Two brothers and one sister.  My brothers were twins and one of them died in Ghana of malaria before I was born.  My brother is five years older than me and my sister is 14 months younger than me.  (That's me in the pink.)


Tune: Boy, I don't know.  Right now coming up on Easter my mind goes often to In Christ Alone.  

University:  Cedarville University.  Only back then it was Cedarville College.  I graduated with a degree in what was then referred to simply as El Ed or Elementary Education.


Veggie Dish:  Recently I made a baked zucchini casserole that was delicious!  I like most vegetables with the exceptions of Brussels sprouts and peas.  But frozen peas are ok. 

Why I am late:  Because when people say, “It’s time to go”, I think that means, “It’s time to get ready to go.”  Because I have no concept of time.  Because I get busy and forget that I need to go.  I hate leaving tasks I am in the middle of.

X-rays:  I slammed my toe into the wall and it hurt so bad and was so bruised I went to have it x-rayed.  But it wasn’t broken.

Yummy food:  Home-made pizza.  Anything chicken.

Zoo animal:  I love watching the otters at the zoo.





Comments

Mommy Becoming said…
I didn't know it was family tradition, but my mom calls Azaria "widget" too.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…