Skip to main content

Keeping Myself Organized

In the past I have used a one-year planner, but there is always something about them I don't like and they are expensive!  So, based on an idea I got from a friend and from home-made planners I've seen on the internet, I've gone to creating my own.

It's hard to find the kind of notebook I like here, so I brought a handful of ordinary Composition books with me.  I think the ones I got were $1.00 or $1.50 at Walmart.

Then I print out my own calendar for the month and glue it in to the book.
February Calendar 

March calendar

The next page is my "inspiration page" which I try to use to depict something that is important to me for that month.  Some times it is pictures, a verse, or a prayer.  I'm also using Anne Voskamp's Joy Dare (available on her web site), so I make sure I have that on the page somewhere as well.  
January inspiration page
February inspiration page
For February I ended up with three inspiration pages.  On page 2 and 3, I printed I Corinthians 13 on hearts and then wrote a goal/prayer request for each characteristic of love.  I prayed over these during the month.
March inspiration page

Next, I divide a 2-page spread into eight sections (because it won't go evenly into seven).  This is my planner for the week.  On these pages I write my to-do list, my menu, my photo prompt for the day, etc.  I keep a paper-clip on the page for that week, partly so I can turn to it quickly, but also so I can keep track of receipts I need to turn in, etc.

My weekly plan page



After my weekly planning section, I use pages to take notes in church, during meetings, on books I'm reading, etc.  I also take notes on my Bible reading. That way I have everything in one book and don't have to keep track of so many little pieces of paper or other notebooks.
Notes on the message in church.  If the message is in French, I try to take notes in French.  It helps me stay focused!

Right now for my personal Bible study, I am doing a word study on HOPE.
I find this is working pretty well for me, but I think I'm going to use more composition books than I planned for!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…