Skip to main content

Thoughtful Fasts

In November Suzanne wrote a book review on her blog about the book 7 by Jen Hatfield.  The book sounded intriguing, and as Suz promised, she sent it to me for Christmas.  I don't know if there's been much media hype about the book or not.  Thankfully we miss most of that kind of hype being the proud users of some of the slowest internet I've ever used!  The reason I say that is, when everybody says you should read something, I usually refuse to read it.  It took me forever to get around to reading 1,000 Gifts and I never have read The Shack.  I guess it's because I want to form my own opinions and not have people already telling me that I should think it's an amazing book.

So, not having heard anything about the book except what Suz wrote on her blog....which intrigued me....I read the book without any pre-conceived notions.  So, if you're like me and you don't like people telling you you have to read a book, you can skip this blog post.  If you like to have an idea of what a book is like before you go out and buy the book for yourself, read on.


Jen Hatmaker, author and conference speaker, mom, and pastor's wife, practices what she preaches.  Her husband was pastor of a mega-church and they had all they needed, wanted, and more.  Then God called them to leave the excess and to get involved in justice and reaching out to the lost, not just ministering to the saved.  This book takes place after that change in ministry focus and is a record of God's working in her and her family's life in "an experimental mutiny against excess".

For seven months they fasted from different things.  In the fast from clothes, she and her husband chose seven pieces of clothing and wore them all month (underclothes were not counted in the number).  In food they chose seven nutritious foods and ate only those foods.  In possessions they chose seven things to give away every day.  In media they turned off the tv, radio, most internet, and used their phones for only necessary calls and texts.  In waste they recycled more, used only one car, and found other ways to cut back on waste.  In spending they chose seven places where they would spend money.  Included as one was on-line bill paying....so that left six shops and/or restaurants where they would spend money.  And in stress they kept the Sabbath and stopped for prayer seven times a day.

It is easy for me to read this and think to myself, "Great.  I don't live in excess.  How does this apply to me?"  In the chapter on clothes, she counted 327 items of clothing in her closet.  I think, "Sheesh!  You needed to cut back!  You should see the size of my closet.  I can barely fit in 20 outfits." (This picture actually shows my clothes and John's.  We also have a slightly bigger closet now, but not much.) Then the conviction hits and I'm reminded that I have at least 17 outfits more than most of my friends in Tera had.  So, yeah, maybe I do live in excess. 

In the chapter on possessions, she gave away 202 pieces of clothing.  Giving away 7 items a day is 210, so she almost gave it all away with just cleaning out her closet!  So I then justify myself with, "If I gave away 210 things in my house, I'd probably have nothing left."  But then, is that a bad thing?  And I've been looking around at all the stuff I DO have that I never use and think, "Yep, I live in excess.  Especially compared to those around me.  I could definitely give away some stuff."

I also have questions about the whole fair trade thing.  I don't want to say much about something I don't know much about, but I wonder if this is just a trend that those with money can afford to get involved in.  Some of us don't have the funds to buy one item that is labeled "fair trade" over an item not labeled "fair trade".  We have to buy what is the cheapest and what fits in the budget.  It also makes me wonder....what about the people whose livelihood does depend on being involved in the production of non-fair trade items?  All I'm saying is, I need to do more research on this before I jump on a band wagon.


Jen Hatfield writes in an intriguing way and I enjoy her sense of humor because she can laugh at herself.  But, while writing in her humorous style, every word drives the point and convicts.  Words (referring to Luke 11:37-42) like, "What if wealth and indulgence are creating a polished people rotting from the inside out, without even knowing it?  Is there a reason Jesus called the rich blind, deaf, unseeing, unhearing, and foolish?  Jesus never utters a positive word about the wealthy, only tons of parables with us as the punch line and this observation:  It is terribly hard for us to receive His kingdom, harder than shoving a camel through the eye of a needle.  That's really hard.  If this is true, then more than fearing poverty or simplicity, we should fear prosperity."

Ouch.  "More than fearing poverty or simplicity, we should fear prosperity".

Well, I don't know if I'll fast from something every month or not.  Suz and Theo have chosen to do that and I think it's a great idea.  I do know I'm a little more aware of what I have compared to what those around me don't have.  I think I'm aware of that, and we really try to give generously....but I know there is more we could do.

The chapter that convicted me a lot was the one on media.  Again, I could say, "Huh!  We live simply.  We watch one movie a week, our Friday night treat.  We already only make necessary phone calls and texts.  We don't stream any movies, videos, or radio.  In fact, we don't listen to the radio."  But then I think of all the time I spend reading blogs, looking at things on Pinterest, and keeping up with Facebook.  And then double that amount of time because of our slow internet.  LOL!  I can't help but think about all the time I waste just with blogs, Pinterest, and Facebook.  So for the month of February, I am fasting from those things.  I am going to continue to read Suz's blog and I am going to up-date my blog on a regular basis.  I will only do "research" on line when there's no other way to get the information.  I have to do email because at least half my work time is spent answering and sending emails.  So I'll update you in a day or two on how it's going!


Comments

meyersonmission said…
I don't like reading books that get all the hype as well!!

That book sounds fascinating. Just reading your description challenges me (as I prepare THINGS to bring to Niger!). I might ask to borrow the book some day!!
-Anne Jisca

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …