Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A New Recipe....Fabulous or Flop?

First, just let me say that I am VERY excited because we switched internet providers.  Our internet is MUCH faster.  For the past two months I've barely been able to open my email.  When I do a blog, it takes 20 minutes to upload a compressed photo.  So, this is pretty amazing.  But like my neighbor, who shares our internet, said, "When will I file my nails now that the internet is so fast?"  (btw, it was her wonderful husband who did all the work of getting it set up!)  Don't get the idea that our internet is lightning fast now, but at least we don't now have time to go take a shower while a page is opening.

Secondly last week we made a quick trip to where we used to live.  I'll do a blog on that, but need some time for that one.  It's already 9:13 p.m. and I just want to do something fast.

I'm pretty stuck in a rut for cooking.  We like what we like, I can cook those tried and true recipes often without a cookbook, and I'm all about what's easy and comfortable.  But sometimes I like to try a new recipe.  Awhile back I found a recipe for Chicken Katsu Curry at Geekarilla.com.

I really like Indian food, but I don't know anything about it.  I like curry, but that's about where my knowledge ends.  So I have no idea how authentic this recipe is.  I baked chicken in the oven with a nice coating of bread crumbs and seasonings and boiled rice in a pan.  

Then I made the sauce from this recipe:
2 Tbs oil
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped/pureed or thinly sliced
2 Tbs flour
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
Mix curry powder and flour together and set aside.
Heat oil in pan.
Add ginger and garlic and stir fry for 1 minute.
Add flour/curry powder mix and allow to bubble.  You should end up with a very dry paste.
Add salt, paprika and chili powder.  Stir.
Add enough water, small amounts at a time until you get a sauce like consistency.
Bring to a boil ad simmer for a few minutes, stirring continuously.  You may need to add more water.

I pretty much followed the recipe exactly, except I didn't have ginger so I used powdered ginger.  We poured it over our chicken and rice.


But it tasted....flat.  Like my dad used to say about gravy in general, it tasted like wallpaper paste.  I don't know if he ever actually ate wallpaper paste or not! He worked with his great uncle who was a paper hanger/painter, so maybe he did try it. 

I'm not sure if it needed more salt or if it was supposed to taste like that or what.  It was actually pretty good on the chicken which was already seasoned, but we didn't really like it on the rice.  I'd like to try it again using milk instead of water.  Or how about coconut milk?  It seems that it needed something creamy to make it richer.

Have any of my readers made Chicken Katsu Curry before?  Did you use milk or water?  Did I do anything wrong?

1 comment:

Brianna Siegrist said...

I bet the difference is powdered ginger. I've heard real ginger is POTENT. :-)

Hi, I'm Brianna, btw.