Skip to main content

When Prosperity Teaching Leaves You with Some Big Questions

The ladies at our church meet every Saturday afternoon.  Since Saturday is my only day to stay home and do my own thing, I've decided to go to the ladies' meetings on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month.  So, that's my routine.  I do enjoy the ladies, but I just can't go every week.

December is ladies' month at our church, so there are always some extra things going on.  For one thing, we buy the same cloth and make matching outfits.  This year's cloth was a real stretch for me.  I DO.NOT.WEAR.YELLOW.  EVER.


My skin has a definite yellow tinge to it, so I don't think yellow or orange are very flattering on me. Not only that, the modele is not something I would have picked out for myself.  The sleeves are, ummm, interesting as you can see from this blurry photo. What do you think?  Bat or angel? But I guess when it's all said and done it doesn't look too bad.

During ladies' month they sing special numbers at church, are very involved in preparing and serving the Christmas dinner, sometimes lead the singing at church, occasionally speak at church, and other involvements.  One of the big things they do is a conference for the women and teenage girls of the church.  They invite other churches as well.

Before the flood our church had started a project of adding on to the church to increase the sanctuary size, something that was really needed.  But then we got flooded out and were in exile for several months.  Once we moved back to our building, little by little the church addition has been finished off and the sanctuary has been spruced up.  It looks like it's pretty much finished now with a fresh coat of paint, a new pulpit, and carpet on the platform.

So for the ladies' conference, the women decorated and they did a fabulous job on it!  It looked beautiful and was very tastefully done (no cotton balls on the wall).


 I only made it to one meeting of the conference.  The ladies sang, we had a time of singing, a testimony time, and then a message from a guest speaker. 

I don't know who the speaker was and I wouldn't give his name if I did.  But his message concerns me.  It concerns me because it is something I hear so often here.  In fact, the next day at a different church, the closing prayer was pretty much the same.  It concerns me because people in the church don't seem very discerning about error even though our pastor has spoken against this.

Granted, I don't always follow the French very well, but the gist of the message was that if you obey God, He will bless you and if you ask God for anything, He'll give it to you.  You should never be sick.  You can even command the mosquitoes to leave (I'm pretty sure that's what I heard him say).  He gave examples of people who prayed and because they were giving generously to the church and involved in the church programs, they were given what they prayed for.

I do believe that God blesses us.  I do believe He punishes us when we refuse to repent.  I do believe He heals.  But I have serious problems with the whole health and wealth teaching.  This isn't meant to be a serious, theological discussion, but in no special order, here are some of my questions and objections.

1.  He based the message on Deuteronomy 28.  This was God's covenant with Israel:  in brief, if you obey I'll bless you and if you disobey I will punish you.  So I think the principal holds for all believers....but the way I hear it approached here is with a sense of entitlement and of demanding of God.
2.  So what if I do obey and I do tell God what I want and it doesn't seem like I'm blessed?  Even worse, what if instead of blessings, terrible things happen to me?  Like they do to Christians all over the world every day.
3.  What about Job?  His friends all assumed he had sinned because God wasn't blessing him.
4.  Doesn't this then become a works-based belief system?  If I am good enough, give enough, help the church enough God will bless me.  So if I don't get a material blessing, I'm not doing enough or my faith isn't great enough.  If I don't get a material blessing, it's somehow my fault.
5.  Our society in the US is very materialistic.  Many in the society here are living in poverty, but would like a better life for themselves (understandably).  But aren't we promoting materialism with this belief?
6.  And so if I am poor, shouldn't becoming a Christian bring me out of my poverty, out of my illness, out of my problems?  So what if I become a Christian and I'm still poor, sick, or troubled?  What does that mean for my relationship with God?
7.  And speaking of relationship, doesn't this kind of teaching just focus on what I can get from God rather than on my relationship with God?
8.  And then there's Jesus.  He had no place to lay His head, was despised, rejected, persecuted, and killed.  Hmmmm, what happened to His prosperity?
9.  And Jesus chose to give up all to come to the earth.  Will this kind of teaching prevent church members from being willing to give up all to go to isolated areas to preach the Gospel?
10.  Jesus tells us to not worry about what to wear or what to eat.  He'll provide.  He does tell us to ask Him for our daily bread, but I think that means we should ask Him for our needs to be met, not necessarily our wants.
11.  What about Proverbs 30:8 & 9 "Give me neither poverty nor riches!  Give me just enough to satisfy my needs.  For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, 'Who is the Lord?'  And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God's holy name."
12.  This morning I was reading Revelation 2.  I was struck by what it said about the church in Smyrna:  "I know about your suffering and your poverty--but you are rich!"  This is also the only one of the seven churches that doesn't have a criticism about it.  They were persecuted and they were poor, but they were faithful and God considered them rich.
13.  I think we need to strive for balance.  Live victorious lives, but also focus on our relationships with God, on our spiritual health, and on being faithful to Him.  Then let Him bless us and provide for us.  We need to learn to trust Him when things go wrong and when things are going well.  

I don't in any way mean for this to be a criticism of our church.  Overall our church takes a balanced approach and the pastor has even spoken out against this kind of teaching.  But it does concern me because of its prevalence and the way it is so easily accepted.

What do you think?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…