Tuesday, November 05, 2013

I Collect....

Today's photo challenge was to be what you collect.  My collection is....elephants.


When I was a baby I was quite chubby.  Or so the story goes.  I really don't remember!  My dad was studying Hausa at the time and started calling me "Giwa" which is Hausa for "elephant".  The name stuck even though for most of my growing-up years I was quite thin and scrawny.

I've left most of my elephants in storage in the USA.
Part of my collection on display when we lived in Maryland.  I left all of these behind when we returned to Africa.
 I don't have much place here for that kind of thing, don't want to spend time dusting them as we fight a losing battle with Sahara dust here, and some day we'll retire and I'll want them permanently in the US anyway.


So if you visited me here you'd not see much evidence of my collection.

Actually, I'm quite picky.  I don't like cutesy kinds of elephants and I don't buy them just to add to my collection.  I try to get ones that look quite realistic and are different from others that I have.

A few years ago John and I went to a conference in Thailand.  While there we got to ride an elephant, to feed an elephant, and to be lifted in the trunk of one.  That was a lot of fun to see one of these powerful and extremely intelligent beasts up close. 

No comments: