Skip to main content

How I Ended up with a Blue and Orange Bedroom

We've always had bedrooms that are either very neutral or based on either blues or purples.  So when we were in the US for two years, we saw this quilt set on sale at B*d, B*th, & B*yond.  It was a different color scheme than we'd ever had, John really liked the colors and thought it was less girlie than some we've had in the past, and it had just enough blue and even a touch of purple in it to make it acceptable to me.  So we bought it and used it on our bed the year we lived in Maryland.

Then we boxed it up, along with the two pillow shams, and blue curtains to send it to Niger on a container.  Well, somewhere along the line, one of our boxes went missing.  
To this day we don't know if UPS lost it, or if it's languishing in a forgotten corner of a store room where they packed or unpacked the container.  Everybody says they haven't seen it.  

While we were waiting for the container with our stuff in it to arrive, we went ahead and got the bedroom painted....one wall orange and the other three blue.  Let me tell you, I'm not a fan of oranges and yellows, so this was a stretch for me, but it turns out I really like the orange wall.  Then the container arrived and we discovered that the missing box contained the bedspread and one panel of the curtains.  So, we had three out of four panels of the curtains and the pillow shams.

Last summer I searched every W*lmart I could find and could not find that style of curtains anymore.  So I found a close proximity and reinvented it a bit.  You can hardly tell that it's not the same type of curtain.  I blogged about that here.

I decided to make a quilt to go with the orange and blue walls.  My inspiration was mainly from an article called Quilting as Textile Jazz. (Isn't that a gorgeous quilt!)Tracy Vaughn said "she had just met the quilter, Heather Williams, a historian whose area of specialization is slavery.  Vaughn remembers, 'The quilts had no patterns and that really appealed to me.  They had jagged edges; some of them were circular.  Some had archival images of slaves, which Williams had transferred to fabric.  The quilts were just spectacular and they elevated those in the images, as well as the art form of quilting itself, to a level of nobility.  And I thought: I have to learn how to do this.'"  

The article also said, "For her Northwestern students, they are a tactile connection with an art form that features prominently in the stories of black women....African American quilting reaches almost as far back as the history of colonial America. Slave women on plantations were often needed for spinning, weaving, sewing, and quilting. Some made scrap quilts for their own families with leftover material, discarded clothing, and feed sacks.

“'The enslaved would take these scraps to make quilts to supplement their bedding to keep warm,' Vaughn tells us. 'But even in that was a certain level of pride in its artistry and construction and its originality. What I try to do is to tap into that and show progress from that history and that legacy.'”


Now, I know that I'm not African American, but I do admire the way the slaves made beauty out of poverty, how they took scraps that had been discarded and made something beautiful out of them. I guess it's similar to the way my African neighbors live.  And I have all these beautiful African textiles available in the market, so I chose an orange and blue colors and put them together a quilt.  There is no particular pattern to it.  I just cut and sewed.  

I also had this picture as an inspiration, found here. And I got some practical help from this tutorial.  

I've got the top done.

 I've got a piece for the back (not shown).
 Now to put them together.  I don't really want to use batting since it's so stinkin' hot where we live.
 I think two layers of cloth would be plenty warm enough for our cooler months.  What do you think?  Have any of you done any quilting without batting?  Any words of advice on how to put together the front and back without batting?

Right now I'm procrastinating on putting it all together because I'm not sure what to do next!

Comments

annejisca said…
I love your quilt!!! Good job!
Beka said…
my mother in law who was a quilter and had lived in africa (so she knew the heat), just choose the extra thin batting. if you don't have batting, the quilt feels all bumpy from the seams. that was her take. we don't find ours too hot, but we don't use it to cover us all year round. by the way, your quilt looks FAB!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…