Saturday, June 22, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Rhythm

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..

OK, are you ready? Please give us your best five minutes on the word:::
Rhythm…
A jembe
I have very little sense of rhythm.  I enjoy music, but I sure can't keep beat.  At our church in Africa I sometimes get up with the women when they sing but I'm obviously the white lady who has no sense of rhythm!  I stick out like a sore thumb.

My husband, though, is a great musician, and this is a shout-out to him.  Not only can he play the guitar and piano, he is doing his doctorate on the music of the people group we have worked with.  And he is passionate about the subject of worship.

I haven't written much about his doctoral work or what it's like to be the wife of a doctoral student.  He is working part-time and is getting his degree from the Oxford Centre for World Missions in Oxford.  He spends six weeks every year in Oxford, but the rest of the time he studies and researches on his own.  He's working on it part-time so it's a long hard slog.  He is currently half way done.

A three-string "guitar"
I'm just really proud of the way he sets goals for himself, sticks to them, and keeps up the rhythm of studying.  He's had some discouraging moments, but he keeps plugging away (or should I say beating away?). 
A rhythm instrument made from a metal bowl with metal rings attached to the rim
 I'm so thankful to God for giving him some encouragement during his most recent trip to Oxford.  This encouragement will help in him keeping up his rhythm of blending work, studies, and personal life.
Playing a box drum

2 comments:

Joe Siccardi said...

Good job from you FMF neighbor. I'm with you ... out of step in the rhythm department and appreciate those to whom it come naturally.

Vilisi said...

Your life is an interesting rhythm! :)