Friday, March 29, 2013

Broken


Want to join our favorite free writing exercise of the week? It’s easy and open to anyone at 5 minute friday.
1. Write for 5 minutes flat on the prompt: “Broken” with no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to please visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.
OK, are you ready? Please give me your best five minutes on:::

Broken…

Reading through Exodus, Leviticus, and Numbers....
animals sacrificed daily, yearly.  

On the Day of Atonement, a goat was to be slaughtered as a sin offering. Another goat with the sins of the people symbolically placed on its head and taken outside the camp was to be let loose....a scapegoat.

You, my Saviour, agonizing alone in the garden as you faced what lay ahead....the sins of the world being put upon your head and then being lead out of the city to be sacrificed.

You, who love me so, with my sins piled upon you.  Beaten, spit upon, a crown of thorns smashed down upon your forehead, mocked, forsaken by your disciples.  And I know in my heart I would not have been any better than that traitorous one or the fickle 11.

The animals sacrificed had to be perfect.  And You were because You'd never sinned. But your body was not a perfect specimen.  Your back had been beaten into a bloody piece of meat.  Blood ran down your face.  Exhaustion from a sleepless night caused you to stumble.

Your body was broken for me.  Yet not one of your bones was literally broken, in fulfillment of prophecy.  "This is my body, broken for you."

Am I broken?  Broken by my sin for which you paid?  Broken for a lost world?  "You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise."

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Ah I love these reminders of all Christ has done and great pics to go along with your post. I enjoyed it!

Jess @ CatchaSingleThought said...

So important to remember what Jesus did for us. A brilliant post.