Monday, January 21, 2013

Read

Right now I am reading three books.  One is called Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes by E. Randolph Richards and Brandon J. O'Brien.  It's a great book about how we tend to interpret Scripture based on our culture.  When you visit another culture, especially a middle eastern culture, you may get a more realistic interpretation of certain Scriptures.  It's a great book and one of the few on my Kindle that I actually paid something for.


The 2nd book I'm reading is also on my Kindle.  It's called Ready or Not (Aggie's Inheritance).  It's about a 21 year old whose sister and brother-in-law are killed in an accident and she has been designated to be the guardian of their eight children.  It's a pretty good book, though the humor often falls flat.

The 3rd book I'm reading is One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.  This book is so, so good.  In a way her writing style is too flowery and wordy for me.  But then in the very next sentence I am amazed at the picture she paints with her words.  And beyond all that, I am challenged to give thanks for little things, for big things, for hard things.  

I wish the copy of this book belonged to me so I could underline and write in the margins.  Instead I'll have to take time to go back through and write down some of the things that have blessed and challenged me. Or maybe I can buy it for my kindle and learn how to use the highlighting tool! 

Too often my reaction to "frustrations", to "stress", to "discomfort", to "annoying people" is to complain, to gripe, to be cynical. I put them in quotes, because they aren't the problem, I am.  It's easy to label things and excuse myself because of "frustrations", "stress", or "annoying people".  I've started a "gift list", trying to focus on what the Lord has given, not on what I don't have. 

 I loved this today:  

"Pride, mine -- that beast that pulls on the mask of anger -- this is what snaps this hand shut, crushes joy. ...  Dare I ask what I think I deserve?  A life of material comfort?  A life free of all trials, all hardship, all suffering?  A life with no discomfort, no inconveniences?  Are there times that a sense of entitlement -- expectations-- is what inflates self, detonates anger, offends God, extinguishes joy?

"And what do I really deserve?  Thankfully, God never gives what is deserved, but instead, God graciously, passionately offers gifts, our bodies, our time, our very lives.  God does not give rights but imparts responsibilities.... inviting us to respond to His love-gifts."  p. 177, 178

2 comments:

Georgene G. said...

The principles from One Thousand Gifts helped me through one of the most difficult years of my life. I continue to count my blessings (in a small notebook) almost daily.

The other book you mentioned sounds very interesting about the difference culture makes in how we view scripture. Does he give many examples?

Nancy DeValve said...

Yes, they gives a lot of examples, especially from their times serving as missionaries in countries with a completely different world view than the west. He starts the book by giving an example of giving a multiple-choice test to his students. They left many of the answers blank and he said to just guess that they would have a 25% chance of getting it right. They said that would be dishonest because they didn't know the answer so they shouldn't pretend like they should. That's not really a biblical example, but shows clearly how the West and "the rest" often think.