Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pattern

Pattern....a repeating design.  

Brick upon brick, row upon row.  This is the pattern in the brick work of the wall surrounding our terrace.

Patterns can be visually pleasing.  

Patterns show organization and fore-thought.

Patterns let us know what to expect.

The problem with patterns is that I tend to follow patterns in my life as well.  I do the same things the same ways at the same time.  And that is pleasing, organized, and comforting.  But sometimes I need to be surprised. I need to see beauty in the routine.

Ann Voskamp, in One Thousand Gifts, talks about how we begin to expect certain things from life and then are disappointed.  We get bogged down in the routine and forget to give thanks. 
     "Instead of filling with expectations, the joy-filled expect nothing -- and are filled.  This breath!  This oak tree!  This daisy!  This work!  This sky!  These people!  This place!  This day!  Surprise!
     "C.S. Lewis said he was 'surprised by joy'.  Perhaps there is no way to discover joy but as surprise?
     "The way the small live.  Every day."  (page 170)

Patterns are great, but only if I don't forget to be surprised and delighted with everything around me, to see the beauty in the patterns and even to look beyond the patterns.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Nancy really helpful reflections on the good and drawbacks of patterns--things I needed challenging on! May we be a thankful people today.

I was thinking too of patterns of sin that maybe cause us to forget to say sorry.