Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Object

Today's photo word is "object".  Well, that could be just about one of a zillion things.  So, here's my object. Any idea what this is?  



It's called "African black soap".  I've lived over half my life in Africa and have never used this until recently!  I guess I figured modern, store bought soaps must surely be better.  In the few months that I've been using this, I'm really pleased with it.  My skin tends to be really dry, especially at this time of year when the humidity is between about four and 10%.  Using this kind of soap, I still use lotions, but my skin doesn't feel dry, itchy, and flaky.

What is African black soap?  It's made from plantain skins, cocoa pods, shea butter, and palm or coconut oil. Women, mostly in Ghana and Nigeria, make the soap from recipes handed down to them from their mothers and grandmothers.  They each have their own secret recipe, so the color and texture can be different depending on who made it.  You can see that the soap I bought is not really very black.  I've seen some that is darker than this.  The soap has vitamins K and E and natural glycerin....that's why it's so good for your skin.

I paid 500 cfa, or about $1.00 for this chunk of soap.  If it's like the last chunk I bought, it will last me about three months.

For more information check out this web site:  AfricaImports  (I'm not promoting their products as I have no idea about their customer service record, etc.  They just have the best explanation that I could find.)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wow, I have never heard about that before. I will have to ask the next SIM Niger person to come through the SIM Aus office to bring me a little bit!