Saturday, December 15, 2012

Favorite Holiday Song

Today's photo challenge is Favorite Holiday Song.

It's hard to choose a favorite Christmas song.  Some of my favorites are "What Child Is This?" , "Angels We Have Heard on High", "Mary's Boy Child".  When I was a kid I loved the song "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day".  I'm not sure why as it isn't typical kid fare.  I still like it, but it isn't one you hear very often.  I'm featuring it today because, as a Facebook friend pointed out, the words speak to the tragic event of yesterday in Newtown, CT.  It was written in 1864, during the American Civil War, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

I heard the bells on Christmas day,
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat,
Of peace on earth good will to men.

And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

Till ringing, singing on its way
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men."

No comments: