Skip to main content

Candy Cane....or maybe not

Today's picture is supposed to be a candy cane, but I don't have any candy canes, don't miss candy canes, don't want candy canes, and therefore can't photograph candy canes.

So I'll tell you about my day yesterday.  Almost two weeks ago I wrote about our neighbor man who had died.  The tradition here is that when somebody dies for three days the friends and family members go sit with the family of the person who died.  So I wanted to go up to sit with my friend right away, but we just couldn't fit it into our schedule.  Yesterday was a national holiday and I didn't have to go to the office and John didn't have to teach, so we went up to greet the family.

As we drove out of town we noticed police and military standing guard all along the way.  We realized somebody important was going to be passing through.  When that happens, all traffic is held up until they pass through.  It causes huge back-ups and delays while the waiting traffic unsnarls itself.  In fact, John was an hour late to his class on Monday because roads were closed due to visiting dignitaries.

We were glad we were apparently ahead of whatever was going to be happening.  We stopped for gas and were on our way remarking that we'd be happy to get out of town and away.  As we headed out of town and turned off onto our road, lo and behold, there were military all along that road as well!

As we went through villages, we realized people were lining the roads.  Obviously the president was coming down that very road!  It is a brand new road and we realized he was coming for the opening ceremony of the road. 


It was fun to wave at the crowds and have them wave and cheer at us. Then they'd realize it was two unimportant white people and the cheers would suddenly die down.  Near the end of the road tents had been erected and comfortable over-stuffed couches and chairs were arranged for the important people.  Plastic chairs were arranged for the less important people.  Military and police were everywhere.  We never did see the president, but it was fun to have people think we were important, anyway.  By the time we returned later in the afternoon the tents were down, the plastic chairs were stacked up, and the comfortable chairs and couches sat alone on the bluff overlooking the river.

We spent quite awhile with the widow.  She is so sad and depressed.  She has to spend two weeks in her house, so not being allowed out probably adds to the depression.  I sat inside with her, while John stayed outside with the son.  John came and squatted down in the doorway to greet her and she asked him to pray.  While I was there another lady I know came in and told her she needed to stop being so sad and that she has to eat and that she gets sick all the time any way and she needs to take care of herself and this is just the devil.  Really????  I thought it was rather unsympathetic, but I've been in the culture long enough to know that tears and extreme emotions are not tolerated.  I told my friend, though, that God creates us to have emotions and to love other people.  When they die we are sad and there is nothing wrong with being sad.  I did tell her, though, that she does need to take care of herself even though the sadness takes away her appetite.  Tears welled up in her eyes when I said that, but she never did really cry.  I think she appreciated being understood.  Not that I completely understand since I've never lost a husband.

While I was there they brought me a bowl of hot food.  These people have less than nothing, and I wasn't even hungry since we'd had a picnic.  John was sitting outside and they didn't take him anything.  I ate as much as I could, but I didn't feel bad to leave so much knowing it would be eaten by somebody later.

We visited other friends, too.  One friend gave us a big bag of peanuts and of sesame seeds.  Another gave us about 10 kilos of limes!  Being a few too many limes to use before they go bad, since we don't have a big freezer, we shared them with our friends.

It was a good day, but so tiring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …