Skip to main content

More from the Curtain Refashionista

We have had no internet for almost two weeks.  Every day I call and every day there are promises made....and broken.  Anyway, I've got some time of my own today that I'm spending at the office trying to do a blog so you all don't think I've totally disappeared!  Even at the office the speed is terrible, so we'll see if I get this posted or not.

Do you remember my post on refashioning curtains for one of the apartments we were setting up?  By the way, that seems like years ago, what with the flood and all.  In reality, that was only two months ago!

Anyway, just before the flood hit, I did some more curtain fashioning and refashioning.  I just haven't had a chance to post about it since I've been maxed out since the flood waters hit!  (Yes, life revolves around the flood these before the flood and life after the flood!).

Back when we were still in the 2010....I bought a bedspread with orange and blue stripes.  I also bought plain blue curtains for our living room in Maryland.  They went well with the bedspread, so I planned to use them in our bedroom in Niger.  I packed the bedspread and the curtains in boxes and had them shipped to go on a container coming to Niger.  While waiting for the boxes to arrive, I had the bedroom painted orange and blue.  Well, we got all of our boxes but one, which nobody knows where it disappeared to.  Missing was the bedspread and one panel of the two sets of curtains.  So I had three panels of curtains, but really needed the 4th panel.

I thought that wouldn't be a problem.  When we went back to the US this summer, I would just buy another set of curtains.  I went to the store where I had bought those and, wouldn't you know it, they had discontinued that model of curtain.  The ones I had bought there had tabs on top, for hanging.  I could find the same color of curtain, but not with tabs and not made from the same fabric.  I finally bought one curtain in that same color.  And I bought a valance to make the tabs from.

I ended up making tabs, then sewing them on the curtain.  But that made the curtain too long, so I had to shorten it.  Also, it was a lighter weight fabric than the originals and both John and I like our bedroom really dark.  So I had to buy another piece of fabric to sew on the back to make it heavy enough.  In the end, it turned out pretty well.  Can you tell which panel is the "fake" one?

Since the bedspread was also in the box that went missing, I plan on making an orange and blue quilt to finish off my bedroom. For now we are using this blanket we got as a wedding gift.  We recently got our first ever brand-new bed.  In our 26 years of marriage, we've never had a brand new bed!  But that will be for another post.  This is our old bed, that John bought used shortly after we were engaged.

Before we returned to Niger last August, I brought a new yellow and blue striped shower curtain and a yellow rug.  We had the painter paint the walls above the tile bright yellow.  But the curtains we had were disgusting and had to go!  I went to a shop here and bought some plain blue cloth.  From Pinterest I got the idea of sewing ribbons on the curtain instead of rings or tabs.  I sewed yellow ribbon on the curtains, but then I had to figure out how to tie the ribbons.

I finally worked out tying them around this round pencil sharpener.  That worked well.  I really like the way these curtains turned out and they were very simple to make. You'll also notice that when I washed the shower curtain, it shrunk about six inches and is now way shorter than the shower curtain liner!  Fortunately it didn't shrink in width as well!


Katie Barker said…
I love seeing your room with the windows open - it looks so inviting! I'd want to stay there. - way to go on being so inventive to make the 4th panel.
podso said…
Love the colors and your creativity! Look forward to seeing the quilt!
Wallpapers said…
There are new a nd more chpice of curtains in the post given here. Know to read the post

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  

I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  

February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.

In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.

While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…